Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > analyze    

analyze

tommy1996
Vietnam

analyze

Help me analyze the sentence. "Drought is a condition that results when the average rainfall for a fertile area drops far below the normal amount for a long period time." I cannot understand the structure, especially the word " results" and relative pronoun "that � and adverb pronoun �when � Thanks

1 Apr 2016      

tommy1996
Vietnam

I cannot understand why don �t use " result in"

1 Apr 2016     

pplstar15
Mexico

Well, I understand that a relative clause is used to refer to nouns mentioned previously. In this case is referring to drought. Yes? And we know that we must apply an -s at the end of a verb when using a singular noun "drought". And i believe we don�t use "results in" because we are using the word "when", it would sound kinda weird to say "result in when".

2 Apr 2016     

yanogator
United States

Here �s the definition of "result" from dictionary.com:
 "to spring, arise, or proceed as a consequence of actions, circumstances, premises, etc.; be the outcome."

It shouldn �t be "results in", because that would be talking about producing the result, not being the result. That could be why "when" is confusing you. It �s saying that drought comes about because of a time (which explains the use of "when") in which the rainfall is decreased.

"That" could be replaced by "which". Either choice is correct.

I hope this clears it up for you.

Bruce 

2 Apr 2016     

ldeloresmoore
China

"results in"  is saying that the first  thing happens and it makes the second thing happen. 

Not eating all day results in me eating too much junk food late in the evening.
Going in the snow without a coat results in me catching a cold.
Going outside without an umbrella results in me getting wet.

In your example, "results" is being used as a verb ---- which really isn �t so common, but it is still correct.

The company �s failure results from the mismanagement of resources.  
The punishment results from the child �s bad behavior. 
The  pollution results when manufacturing is not regulated. 

Here,  the first thing is happening BECAUSE OF the second thing. 

Hope this helps..... 

3 Apr 2016