Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > COULD YOU HELP ME??? ARE FRUIT AND VEGETABLE COUNTABLE OR UNCOUNTABLE?    

COULD YOU HELP ME??? ARE FRUIT AND VEGETABLE COUNTABLE OR UNCOUNTABLE?

casmo
Peru

COULD YOU HELP ME??? ARE FRUIT AND VEGETABLE COUNTABLE OR UNCOUNTABLE?

COULD YOU EXPLAIN ME?
IS IT FRUIT AND FRUITS?
IS IT VEGETABLE AND VEGETABLES?

SOMEONE TOLD ME THIS:

FRUIT : UNCOUNTABLE

VEGETABLE: COUNTABLE 

4 Apr 2016      

redcamarocruiser
United States

Fruit is one of those words that is both countable and uncountable.
https://www.englishclub.com/ref/esl/Nouns_that_are_Count_and_Noncount/fruit_2975.htm 

UNCOUNTABLE example
Would you like some fruit for breakfast? 

COUNTABLE example
Apples are one of my favorite fruits.
Eat 3 frutis a day.

Vegetables is countable.
You need to eat 5 servings of fruits and vegetables per day. 

You cannot say, Eat some vegetable. It must be �vegetables �. 
"I had some vegetable for lunch" also does not work. 

4 Apr 2016     

MimaMaxima
Croatia

FRUIT one of those words that can be both, but when it �s countable it changes its meaning because the word is already in plural. 

FRUITS means "kinds of fruit/vegetables" 

Like with the word PEOPLE. It �s already plural. You can �t say "I �ve met two peoples", right? Well, you can, but PEOPLES means
"the members of a particular nation or ethnic group". As in "I �ve met the indigenous peoples of Australia". 

Or WATER (uncountable), but there are WATERS - meaning the rivers, lakes, sea of the country for example. 

So when you say you "have 5 fruits" it means you have 5 different types of fruit.

However, when we talk about things in general we always use plural: "I like cats", "I eat fruit" - it �s already plural (like people) but "I like vegetables"  (as stated in the previous comment) 

5 Apr 2016     

douglas
United States

Fruit:

Imagine you have a basket that contains 4 bananas, 2 apples, 3 pears, and an orange

Uncountable: "How much fruit is in the basket?"   answer: 10 pieces

Countable: "how many fruits are in the basket?"  answer: 4 fruits (bananas, apples, pears, orange)

Vegetables:
Imagine you are having dinner and on the table you find: a bowl of green beans, a bowl of peas, and a plate full of carrots

Uncountable: "How much vegetables did you eat?"  answer: 3 servings ( two servings of peas and one serving of carrots)  <<Note: this usage is much less common than the former and some argue it should be "vegetable"; however, common use (USA) in my experience is to use the plural form despite its uncountable nature.>>

Countable: "How many vegetables did you eat?"  answer: 2 (peas and carrots)

So your friend is (more or less) correct

5 Apr 2016     

alien boy
Japan

I usually think of �fruits � as being shorthand for �kinds of fruit �, if that helps you to remember when you can use the plural form (when talking about the plant specific noun, anyway). The singular noun �vegetable � is really only used for counting: one vegetable, two vegetables, etc. Cheers, AB

5 Apr 2016