Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > mistake    

mistake

yanogator
United States

Dear Gharbi,
That is a good trait to have. Don �t ever let go of it.

You and FrauSue are actually both right. There can be two interpretations of "will have had the roof finished".  If the builders began the job, then needed to hire someone else to finish it, your interpretation fits it exactly. If someone else was doing the job from the beginning, the verb would be something other than "finished". It would be "done", "repaired", "fixed", or something like that.

FrauSue was looking at it in a "future past perfect" sense, though. Here �s a description of what I mean, to demonstrate how "had" is being used.

By the beginning of June, I will have had my ferret Ouizl Too for four years. -- This is the regular Future Perfect, because "had" here is the main verb.

Back to the builders. They will finish the roof by the end of this week. Another way of saying that is that they will have the roof finished by the end of the week.

I can say, "By the end of April, the builders will have had the roof finished for two weeks already". Now, this construction doesn �t work in the original context with "by the end of the week", because we have to go beyond that time to be able to use "have had + past participle". I just wanted to show that "have had + past participle" doesn �t have to be a causative form. You are right, though, that with "by the end of the week" it can only be causative.

Thank you for showing me that you weren �t contradicting yourself.

Bruce 

14 Apr 2016     

FrauSue
France

Bruce has explained my point much more eloquently than I did myself. The "will have had the roof finished" implies a sense of "already" whereas "will have finished" fits in with the context of "by the end of the week" much more neatly.
I hope that this has helped the original poster! 

14 Apr 2016     

gharbi2009
Tunisia

hi FauSue,

quite helpful, thanks.

14 Apr 2016     

< Previous   1    2