Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > How do you do?    

How do you do?

mimib21
Madagascar

How do you do?

Hi everyone,
Could someone give some clarification about the expression "how do you do",please?
What is exactly the answer for that?What does it mean?sometimes I heard fine thank you as answer and sometimes it means nice to meet you.
Thank you. 

23 Apr 2016      

yanogator
United States

It is only a greeting, when you are introduced to someone. The correct response is, "How do you do?"

Bruce 

23 Apr 2016     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Bruce is right. And here is the �How do you do � song. 
Edit: do Americans still say �Howdy� as a greeting? 

23 Apr 2016     

redcamarocruiser
United States

I looked up isogloss for Howdy and apparently it is said in Texas. source: The Regional vocabulary of Texas By E. Bagby Atwood(Google Books), p. 96

23 Apr 2016     

kwsp
United States

Here in Iowa people sometimes say �Howdy .� I don �t recall having heard anyone say �How do you do? � for a long, long time. In this part of the world everyone usually says some form of �Nice to meet you �, �It �s a pleasure meeting you� or �I�m honored to meet you.�

Now I �ve got another question for you and maybe it �s kind of silly. Do females curtsy when they say �How do you do? � Maybe I watched too many Shirley Temple movies when I was growing up!

23 Apr 2016     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

kwsp - �How do you do � is very formal and not the usual greeting. As for curtsying - I �m gonna try that next time I meet somebody new. They will then know immediately that I am totally bonkers and won �t have to go through the usual painful period when they think I might have something sensible to offer

24 Apr 2016     

ldeloresmoore
China

LOL -- Howdy is about as colloquial as it comes. It isn �t a standard, blanket anything.  

Granted, it is more heard in the south, but not with any substantial regularity.

Personally, I think I �ve watched too much Downton Abbey.  I want to be Lady Mary when I grow up.   (That�s the first thing I thought of when curtsying was mentioned) 

24 Apr 2016     

rodrigomacias
Mexico

I beleive it is the same than saying "how are you?" so I would say "fine, thank you" or "good, how do you do?" as a response.

24 Apr 2016     

redcamarocruiser
United States

I agree with Bruce and Lynne.

24 Apr 2016