Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > > Literature worksheets    

Literature worksheets

joalkaster
South Africa

Literature worksheets

I was told my worksheet looks "scanned in" because it was based on a literature extract.  How else could one draw up contextual questions without having an extract with line references?  Or is one only allowed to post grammar worksheets. 
I can touch type very well, so it �s a compliment to say it looks "scanned in". :D

1 Mar 2009      

Tere-arg
Argentina

Do not worry. It can be seen is has been typed.
You are not the first and there is nothing wrong with it.

What is advisable is to quote the source at the bottom of the text to avoid this kind of accusations which should not exist (if somebody is not sure, there should be a private message instead of a public comment).

I feel some people find pleasure in accusing, pointing at...
Interesting fact

1 Mar 2009     

libertybelle
United States

I beg to differ Tere.
There are 7 pages of texts and the reading text has numbers on the right hand side, and to me, it looks like the whole story is scanned in directly from a book.
I think it �s acceptable to paraphrase or summarize a story and add activities.
But this doesn �t look like original material.

All the reading materials I use in school have these sentence "counters". I don �t know many who add them when making their own material.
I apologize if I �m wrong - but that �s how it looks to me.

L

1 Mar 2009     

eng789
Israel

Actually, I put in sentence counters in unseens when I use questions like,  

THE WORD "HE" IN LINE 5 REFERS   TO ____________  Actually it is really easy.  You do a two column table.

Once upon a time there

was a big bad wolf who

loved to chase little bunny

rabbits in the forest.  One

day,  he  ...........

when you are finished you just remove the lines/borders.

but I haven �t seen his text yet.

1 Mar 2009     

Tere-arg
Argentina

Hi libertybelle,

If you have a detailed look at the text, it has typing mistakes. I mean,  typing rules (position of punctuation regarding parenthesis, space after punctuation, etc) are not respected all along the worksheet.

As regards the numbers pointing the lines, I use them as it is easier to correct/discuss when speaking.
If you quote a text, you usually do it as you find it and quotation is absolutely accepted. It does not go against author�s rights always you mention the source (name of the story, writer and book) where you took it from.
You need to do so in order to present the exercises you want your students to do.

Anyway, I am for a private message first when we are not sure about something.

1 Mar 2009