Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Teaching material > HELP, PLEASE    

HELP, PLEASE

bomberito
Perú

HELP, PLEASE

dear teachers, I am looking for a coursebook for elderly learners. I mean people who are 45 years old and more, even 65.
I  have a group of them..I know I t is difficult for tyem to learn a new language.. That �s WHy I need a very basic book for them
Thank you in advance 

1 May 2016      

WanderingJoe
Nicaragua

hahaha Bomberito, this has made me laugh so much, thank you for making my Sunday a happy day

I am 47 years old, and am very amused that you describe people who are " 45 years old and more" as "elderly".....

Thank you in advance

1 May 2016     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Bomberito!  I am with WanderingJoe.
45 years old, and more, even 65!!!!!!!!! Gee, that old? As old as them there hills!
Get a grip, boy! Wink
Lynne (aged 97 and a half) 

Edit: �older learners� is fine

1 May 2016     

spinney
United Kingdom

He he he!  I think Bomberito made a bit of a gaff with his English but I �m sure he meant to say "elder learners" or "mature." Easily done. I �ve used "viejo" in Spanish a couple of times when I haven �t changed chip while speaking. Most of my students are in their 40s and some are even older than me (52) yet I use games and activities all the time. Just make it fun. I think once you get past 40 the second childhood begins. It �s pointless using grammar with people over 40 unless they already know other languages. Pronunciation games, question and description games, role-plays and mini theatre to back up any (briefly explained) grammar. And less of the elderly, young man! 

1 May 2016     

miren
Spain

Hello, well I �m also elderly as I am 48!!!
Anyway, when I was teaching adults, i used to work with the �English for life � series published by OUP. It worked well as the stituations and stories are related to grown-ups. Besides, it �s a fulctional book, it deals with everyday life situations, dialogues, etc but no so much grammar. The series comprises 4 or 5 levels, so the 1st book is elementary and the last on the series is intermediate or advanced, I can �t remember
Miren 

1 May 2016     

Tere-arg
Argentina

Hi. I am using English File, now in its third edition.
They like it and it has a good level of English. Every second unit has an every day situation/dialogue connected with travelling (on the plane, at the Customs, registering at a hotel, solving problems, going shopping, etc). 

1 May 2016     

Jayho
Australia

This is not a course book but it is a handy reference book for teachers of mature age students.  Our dear Peter Hardy put me on to it and it�s a gem.

If you would like a copy, you can purchase an eCopy from the author�s website or buy it online from any of the major booksellers (but do shop around as prices vary considerably)

Cheers

Jayho

1 May 2016     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

The excellence gateway materials are very good. There �s ESOL Entry 1> Level 3 and also the functional skills English materials are good. 

2 May 2016