Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Help plzzzzz    

Help plzzzzz

caren_630
Egypt

Help plzzzzz

Dear colleagues,

Will you plz help me with the coming two sentences??!!

1. The bank robbers were armed with weapons and explosives, which aroused havoc in the whole area. 

I know that raise havoc with is an idiom which means to create confusion. But can I say aroused havoc? Would you consider it correct? Must I add an object as well??

2.  Andrew was dancing happily late at night.

Is using late at night considered correct? Should it be late last night? Is this sentence grammatically correct? Should it be "Andrew danced happily late at night or late last night"? Can I consider later at night specific time in the past??

Thx a lot, 

4 May 2016      

yanogator
United States

"Aroused havoc" really doesn �t work, because havoc is more the result of arousal than something to be aroused. In the US, at least, "wreaked havoc" is the most common expression.

If we aren �t talking about a  specific time in the past, "Andrew was dancing happily late at night" is OK. If you try to put the sentence into a context, though, it might have to be changed. The sentence is grammatically correct.

No, "late at night" is not a specific time in the past. It is just a vague period of time, past, present or future.

The main difference with the continuous tenses is that they specify an action over a time period, rather than at a specific time, so either "was dancing" or "danced" can be correct. It all depends on the context and the intention.

Bruce 

4 May 2016     

caren_630
Egypt

Thx a lot Bruce

4 May 2016     

Jayho
Australia

Agree with Bruce on both points

Cheers

Jayho

4 May 2016