Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Can anyone correct this sentence?    

Can anyone correct this sentence?

EwelinaEwelina
Japan

Can anyone correct this sentence?

Do you mind correcting these sentences? (This is from an essay on advantages of having friends who are similar to you or different from you)

1. �ve had friends of the same nature and people who are different from me.

How about SIMILAR NATURE? 

2Then life becomes easy and comfortable which helps t o form happy and harmonious relationships between friends or spouses.

How about AMONG FRIENDS OR SPOUSES ? (If you mean relationships between 2 people, is  it still OK to use the word "between"?

3 . Moreover, friends,who are different from you, can help you broaden your mind as well as show you a different perspective of the world. For example, you can get to know a foreign culture with your friend �s help which  is very difficult without studying it for a long time.
 HOW ABOUT:This:which is difficult to do only by yourself. 

Thank you for your help.

26 May 2016      

georginasantanna
Portugal

Hi!

I think "similar nature" works well in this sentence.
I don �t think "among" can be used here because it is always associated with more than two people, so I think it has to be "between".
In my opinion, the change in the third sentence makes sense but a different meaning than the original one but I suppose that it can be used that way.

26 May 2016     

12bprecise
Mexico

"Same nature" sounds kind of awkward. I would have used a parallel structure: " friends who are similar and friends who are different from me"

"Between" is better--between two friends and between two spouses
Note also the ambiguous pronoun reference: "which helps" You could say, "life becomes easy and comfortable as happy and harmonious relationships form between friends or spouses."

I would add, "a task/undertaking which is very difficult without studying"  in order to avoid the ambiguous pronoun reference. The suggested correction (by yourself) is okay but not necessary.

Did a student write this? It �s pretty well written.

26 May 2016     

Apodo
Australia

I �ve had like-minded friends and friends who are quite different to me.

between friends and spouses 

For example, you can get to know a foreign culture with your friend ´s help which is much easier than trying to learn about it yourself.

26 May 2016     

EwelinaEwelina
Japan

Thank you so much for your help.

27 May 2016