Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > How I can say / pronounce e.g. in speech ?    

How I can say / pronounce e.g. in speech ?

miss noor
Palestine

How I can say / pronounce e.g. in speech ?

Hello ,
I hope you are o �k
Please help me

how I pronounce e.g. in a sentence ?
for example or  /EE gee /

2 Mar 2009      

Caroline565
Australia

eee/gee is exactly right Miss noor. Take care.

2 Mar 2009     

decspec
Argentina

Hello! e. g. should be read "for example" since it comes from the Latin expression "exempli gratia" which means "example given". I hope you find my comment useful! Regards Paula

2 Mar 2009     

eng789
Israel

decspec     Thanks for answering-  I was beginning to think I had lost it.  It �s been a long day with difficult kids so when I saw the eee-gee I thought wow . 

e.g. - we say - "for example" --that �s what I always thought. 

Thanks for confirming that I hadn �t lost my marbles.

Have a great day.
Barbara

2 Mar 2009     

paddyofarrell
Ireland

Both are fine

2 Mar 2009     

Ivona
Serbia

I �ve heard both being used ... donno...

2 Mar 2009     

Zora
Canada

I have to agree with Eng and decspec... we tend to say "for example" when we see "e.g." ... or I always have. "eg" is just the abbreviation, nothing more. It �s like "street", you don �t go around saying:

"He lives on White S-Tee"... you say, "He lives on White Street..." even though it �s written "He lives on White St."

2 Mar 2009     

Ivona
Serbia

And what about i.e. ??? Do you say "that is" or "id est"??
And what about P.S. Do you say Post Scriptum?
Just wondering ... Cool

2 Mar 2009     

Caroline565
Australia

Here we say eee/gee but maybe thats not strictly correct. It �s probably what each area is used to. �Interesting to read Ivona �s question about things like that . �ha ha..now I �m confused. Have I scored an OG ?!!!

2 Mar 2009     

BRAHIM S
France

When it comes to pronouncing abreviations  (cf, eg, ie, Ps etc) Zora is totally right
It makes  more sense to say what they stand for, after all you are speaking
Compare
1. I have been to different English speaking countries, ee gee England, Canada,  and Ireland
2. I have been to different English speaking countries, for example, England, Canada,  and Ireland

2 Mar 2009     

Jayho
Australia

Well, I �m a true blue dinky di Ozzie.  Sometimes I say ee gee and sometimes I say for example - it all depends on who I am talking to and in what kind of forum.  In Australia I don �t think it matters  and both are acceptable

3 Mar 2009     

1    2    Next >