Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Your opinion?    

Your opinion?

Melika89
Iran

Your opinion?

Hi
I have seen in the dictionary that both words are synonyms. But I have read a sentence and I do not understand the difference between the two words.

I really live in spain, but I am actually from canada.

When I have to use really or actually? Are both the same?

Thanks

21 Jun 2016      

maryse pey�
France

Well, ACTUALLY is strong and means IN THE EXISTING FACTS or CONCRETELY. It is for something absolutely undeniable, exact and that you can check.
French is actually (= for sure) a difficult language to learn with all its exceptions.

REALLY often shows astonishment - Oh ! Really ?. It is more neutral.
Is he really sad ?
I am not really (= completely) sure about my information.

And as far as I can remember I have always been said not to use one for the other. "Be careful ! These 2 words are not at all synonyms !" was what I was taught when I was a student.

21 Jun 2016     

Apodo
Australia

I agree the sentence does seem confusing. I wouldn�t use them both like that unless making some kind of explanation.

I �m only in England for a few months. I really live in Spain, but I am actually from Canada.

The sentence would mean the same if you reversed the position.

I �m only here in England for a few months. I actually live in Spain, but really I �m from Canada.

My own preference would be to say but I �m from Canada originally. The words do have the same meaning in this sentence.

They are not always interchangeable. 

21 Jun 2016     

Melika89
Iran

Thank u very much.

21 Jun 2016