Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > cake or a cake    

cake or a cake

miss noor
Palestine

cake or a cake

Hi,

How do you do ?

Please help me

What can I say:

I prepare a cake

or

I prepare cake

Thanks in advance

2 Mar 2009      

Crix
Mexico

I prepare a cake

2 Mar 2009     

Nuria08
Spain

a cake, I agree

2 Mar 2009     

Lou2002
United Kingdom

Sorry to be a pain but in reality I would say I make a cake!  Otherwise if I �m preparing it then "a cake" definitely.

2 Mar 2009     

traceyo777
Hungary

yes, definately agree with Lou.

For example:

I make cakes on Tuesdays  (or if you are doing it now)  I am making a cake.

Bake a cake is also correct.

2 Mar 2009     

Zora
Canada

For cakes:

You are making a cake / You make a cake... etc...  - is used when you are mixing the batter and/or going through the whole process of mixing and baking...

You are baking / you bake a cake... is used more for the putting in the oven part of the process..

AND... you can prepare a cake... BUT that is used when you are going to put icing on it or get it ready for another process, like spreading it with a filling to make a "jelly roll" or a black forest layer cake that has various layers since you �d actually have to prepare the cake before you put it together...

Also, it would be used in a sentence like this one "She is preparing the cake for Andy�s birthday party"... (It means that the cake is baked and she is probably putting icing or candles on it.. )

Smile

3 Mar 2009     

eng789
Israel

I think you can say,  "We always have cake for dessert.  without using an article.

3 Mar 2009     

Jayho
Australia

Yes its a cake however in my undomesticated opinion we generally don �t use the word �prepare � with �cake � - it �s usually make or bake, and once that �s done we ice or decorate it.  BUT,  if you �re at all like me, you buy one ready 2 go!

3 Mar 2009     

miss noor
Palestine

Thank you very much all

3 Mar 2009