Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > grammaticality    

grammaticality

t.javanshir
Australia

grammaticality

Hi there,

I was wondering if the following sentence would be grammatically correct (especially the underlined part):
"the aim of this study was to improve the performance of parallel hole collimators (PCs), increasing the sensitivity of which is associated with degradation of spatial resolution." 

or would you rather:

"the aim of this study was to improve the performance of parallel hole collimators (PCs), increasing whose sensitivity is associated with degradation of spatial resolution." 

or what?

Thank you 

13 Jul 2016      

ldeloresmoore
China

The first one sounds more natural to me. 

More natural and more easily understood as to your intent.

14 Jul 2016     

elaction
Vietnam

the aim of this study was to improve the performance of parallel hole collimators (PCs) by increasing the sensitivity associated with degradation of spatial resolution. -- you are talking about a thing (the) , not a person (whose)

14 Jul 2016     

t.javanshir
Australia

Dear elaction,

I want to describe PCs using a relative clause. I don �t want to talk about the procedure (using "by").
And "whose" can be used for both human and non-human as far as I �m concerned. 

14 Jul 2016     

yanogator
United States

Yes, your first one is correct.

I �m sorry to say that elaction �s suggestion doesn �t say the same thing at all.

Bruce 

14 Jul 2016     

diondeb
Uruguay

A PC is a gadget whose usefulness cannot be questioned now-a.days.
a PC is a gadget which does lots of things - calculate, write, tables etc.- making our lives easier.

14 Jul 2016     

yanogator
United States

@diondeb: You should read the whole thread before you post. t.javanshir is talking about a parallel hole collimator, not a personal computer, and is asking about a specific sentence. You have good suggestions, though.

Bruce 

14 Jul 2016     

zoemorosini
United States

..."whose increased sensitivity" used instead of the underlined section perhaps?  The original structure is ungainly.

14 Jul 2016     

diondeb
Uruguay

sorry. I will do in the future

14 Jul 2016     

yanogator
United States

@zoemorosini, I think it is the action of increasing the sensitivity that causes the degradation, so "increased sensitivity" wouldn �t work.

Bruce 

14 Jul 2016     

t.javanshir
Australia

Thank you everybody,

Bruce, you have always been extremely helpful. Thanks a million.

Toofan 

14 Jul 2016     

1    2    Next >