Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > International Women īs Day    

International Women īs Day

morganalin
Portugal

International Women īs Day

Hi,  once again. I don īt want to bother you  again but I need ideas... Sorry for repeting this message but only Barbara gave me a suggestion but I need more suggestions so that I can choose one...

As you know this weekend it īll be celebrated the International Women īs Day.
I īm teaching English to an EFA course ( Adults - women) and I need to do with them an activity in English so that they could present that activity to an Aged group (+ 65) next Friday. They īre just beggining their English classes and they only know the greetings, talk about their personal ID and their nationality. Last session I made with them Natalis � Countries game and they loved it. I thought that they could do it in public, what do you think?
Do you have any idea? I īm looking forward for your reply...
Thanks for your help and feel free to send me a private messahe if you want to.

3 Mar 2009      

libertybelle
United States

Why not an easy reader about famous women in history?
Rosa Parks,  or women who have fought for the voting rights?
There are so many, and this fits in with International Women īs Day.

3 Mar 2009     

Ricardofaraujo
Portugal

Hi Morgan.

Personally, I think music is always an excellent way to motivate, learn and develop students skills. But EFA groups are very particular. If you think they feel confortable enough to do it, don īt hesitate. I īm sure it will be a success. However, you can also prepare them to act as you assistants, I mean, they can play the role of an Englsh teacher and they must teach this Aged group how to greet someone and how to present themselves (elementary information).
I have already worked with these kind of groups and  they are very particular indeed. They can love the English language, but they can also hate it! We (teachers) just need to keep them motivated, trying to respect the programme, but also trying to focus on some topics they feel more familiar with.
I hope you have a good time with them. It īs always a fantastic experience to teach adults.

3 Mar 2009     

ynroko1
Slovenia

Hi.

Maybe you don īt need to prepare at all. Sometimes students provide a lot of material to work with during the lessons.

Put the students into groups dealing with different tasks.
- What do hey think about the International women īs day? How did it change through their lifetime? Did they celebrate it?
- What do their housbands or children think about this special day? Was it really always special? did they get any presents or pleasant suprises?
- How did the role of a woman change dduring their life?
-What/Where/When was their first shopping/ kiss/ success/ disapointement........
- What was their first food to cook/reciepe...first dress they bought.....
....and simmilar things.
They may list all those ideas and they can change the groups to discuss as much as possible.

Good luck. :)

3 Mar 2009     

ynroko1
Slovenia

Hi, again.

Sorry for the mistakes in the reply. I īm in hurry so I write fast. :)

3 Mar 2009     

morganalin
Portugal

Hi again, thanks a lot for you help! Now I have some nice ideas. Have a nice day.

3 Mar 2009