Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > French private teachers, I need your help    

French private teachers, I need your help

ELOJOLIE274
France

French private teachers, I need your help

Hello

I haven �t been here for a very long time because I had to stop teaching...It �s been the hardest decision I had to take so far and it actually broke my heart to admit that my health was not compatible with teaching full-time in front of a class of 25 pupils... (or even part-time)

my health is a little better and i �ve been granted an early retirement (35 years old and retired sounds odd but I really had no other choice...) and I �m trying to teach as a private tutor from my home, I �m wondering if those of you who are private teachers in FRANCE could help me...

I contacted Acadomia and similar organisations to give English lessons in my area, but i �d also like to teach from my home (I live close to a middle school and a primary school so it �s pretty convenient and I believe I would a lot less tired if I didn �t have to drive to my pupils � homes)
What kind of status do you have? How much do you charge?
I �ve found someone who �d like take lessons on SKYPE, how would you proceed? I feel totally lost because i �ve never really considered how much my knowledge was worth (i �m a fully qualified teacher since I got my CAPES in �08)  
I �m helping a colleague of mine to prepare her lessons this year (She �s not qualified yet, she just got her certification and she will be "inspected/examined" this year to become fully qualified... ) she wants to pay me for my work/help, how much would you ask?

You can contact me by PM if you �d prefer, and then I �ll give you my email address to make it easier to talk...

thank you so much for your help

19 Aug 2016      

redcamarocruiser
United States

My Braziian Portuguese teacher who has a doctorate in Linguistics and teaches PFL at an institute charged thirty dollars per private lesson.

20 Aug 2016     

pilarnavarro
Spain

Your health is the most important thing. Nothing else matters when you feel poorly, so take care. I think that being a private teacher can give you a lot of happiness and achievements as well. Go ahead and good luck!!

20 Aug 2016     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

So nice to hear that you are well. 

20 Aug 2016     

domif
France

Hi Elodie,
Really happy to hear that you are better now.  Why don �t you put your great work on TPT ? 
Take care

20 Aug 2016     

evinches
France

Hi Elodie,

I �m happy to see that you have the energy to make plans and continue teaching in another context.

In my experience businesses like Acadomia pay very poorly. 

You could ask to be paid using Ch�ques Emploi Services, it can be a good way for some families to avoid paying tax for tutoring and it would mean that you were paying social contributions etc. You might find some help here:
http://www.cours-de-maths-78.fr/cesu.php

For a while I was off work sick too and I exchanged English tutoring for housework. I put an ad on "Le Boncoin" offering my services as an English teacher in exchange for housework help. A lady with a son in 4eme who wasn �t doing well in English answered my ad. She brought her son to my house for lessons on Wednesday afternoons and she came on Thursday mornings to vacuum and wash my floors etc. It worked out great and helped me when I didn �t feel strong enough to do strenuous chores. No money was involved.

You might be able to set up a "micro-entreprise", I have a friend who did that but she mostly taught adults.

I hope it all works out and that you enjoy whatever teaching you decide to do.

Classroom teaching is exhausting so let it go. Take care,

Esther 

22 Aug 2016     

karagozian
France

So happy to see you back on the site !!!!  Yes, health is more important than anything else !! I have no experience in that field but take lessons myself in other fields (music). Teachers work at their home and take 30 Euro an hour. Don �t start driving around. That takes again time and energy. I wish you all the best dear Elodie.

22 Aug 2016     

FrauSue
France

Hi,

I work as a private tutor in France. I �m an auto-entrepreneur and the system is really simple to use once you �ve set things up. You need a separate bank account (just a personal one, not a business one) for your tutoring income.

It �s a great way to control how much work you do and to avoid getting over-stressed. Start with just a few pupils and add more as you feel able. I advertised in the local boulangerie and then nearly all of my pupils came through word of mouth. I charge 22€ per hour but I imagine it depends on your region. I �m in quite a rural region so I assume in Paris or a big city you could charge more.

Bon courage! 

23 Aug 2016