Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Activity about Olympic Games    

Activity about Olympic Games

carinita
Argentina

Activity about Olympic Games

Dear Colleagues,
Could someone edit the �expected � comparative sentences below the chart? If everything is Ok I promise I �ll upload this as a proper activity. Just want to know if the sentences are well written Thanks!

Rio 2016 Look at The Guardian�s table of medals and results. Use the comparative form of these adjectives to complete the blanks in the report below. Add THAN after the comparative if necessary.

BIG � SMALL � GOOD � BAD � SUCCESSFUL � POWERFUL   18/8/2016

The USA is more successful than Great Britain, China or any other competitor country.

Great Britain (50 medals) is more powerful than China. However, China has a bigger number of olympic medals (52)

With less than 50 medals won, Russia is better than Germany (28)

In the 6th place is Japan, with a smaller amount of victories.

The United Arab Emirates is doing worse than any other country. It won only one bronze medal for judo.

22 Aug 2016      

redcamarocruiser
United States

Grammatically they are all correct. I am not sure that "powerful" is the best word choice, however. But I am not sure if others would feel the same.

Maybe capable, or victorious?
I hope others weigh in. 

22 Aug 2016     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

It looks like a great activity! Yes, they are all grammatically correct. I agree with Mary about �powerful �... It �s OK, but not that natural. �Stronger � would be good. In British English, we would say, �in sixth place � (no article.)
Edit: The news is on, Team GB have just landed. This was said, �Team GB, even mightier than the mighty Chinese�. �Victorious� bandied about very liberally! 

23 Aug 2016     

carinita
Argentina

& thanks for your help (both) May I use "more outstanding than China"?

23 Aug 2016     

redcamarocruiser
United States

I like outstanding and mightier.

23 Aug 2016     

joannajs
Poland

"With FEWER than 50 medals won" (medals being countable)  

23 Aug 2016     

Gi2gi
Georgia

Hi,

Although, as grammarians insist, less should only be used with uncountable nouns, you tend to hear this �mistake � quite often, so oftn that it has almost become a norm, at least to me.  Here �s what th OED says about this �You often hear people using less with countable nouns (e.g. ‘there are less cars outside the school gates’). Although it �s a common mistake, it is still a mistake and you should try to avoid making it in formal writing or speaking �

And it should be noted, that with some countable words, like those denoting distance and time, less is preferred, I mean in phrases like �less than two days �, �less than ten miles �... I bet even the most �learned � English speaker would hesitate to use �fewer � instead. This is my observation though, would love if someone corrected me if I �m mistaken...

Giorgi 

24 Aug 2016     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

I agree with Giorgi. If we were to go down this route, we might quibble with �amount of victories � and insist on �number of victories �. But most British people, as with �fewer � would go, �Eh? Wha � you on about? � They really wouldn �t get it. Niceties like this are going out of the language. 

24 Aug 2016     

yanogator
United States

As usual, Giorgi, your observation is correct. We think of those time and distance expressions as being a "solid" measurement, so the number is just a part of it, allowing it to behave as if it were uncountable (uncounted).

Yes, "less than" is replacing "fewer than", and will soon be accepted, except by the most curmudgeonly teachers. 

I just read over the original, and 6th place should say "smaller number of victories". "Amount" is used for measurements, and "number" for things that are counted. And Lynne is right that it shouldn �t be "the sixth place".

Bruce 

24 Aug 2016