Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > How     

How

Ann_85
Russian Federation

How

26 Aug 2016      

maryse pey�
France

Hi,

in the 3 sentences the things are identifiable :

In the 1st one the novel is one novel from all Marion �s novels. You borrowed her one of her novels, one among all the ones she had.

In the 2nd one he had seen 1 particular film. The film he saw reminded him of this particular film he had seen once. Both films had common points. But it was not the 1st nor the last film he had seen, he saw, he will see : it is 1 film among the films he had seen before this reminding film.

In the 3rd sentence the speaker has probably seen a lot of things, eccentric things but never as eccentric as this particular one. So it was one of the most eccentric things among all those he had seen before this jacket.

May these explanations help a little ?

26 Aug 2016     

yanogator
United States

Good answer, Maryse.

In short, these are examples of one thing out of many, not the only one, so we use "a". 

In your first example, though, "the" would work. It depends on whether you �re just identifying what you did, or which book you were reading.

What did you do until breakfast time? I read a novel that I had borrowed.
Is that my book you were reading? No, it �s the novel I borrowed.  ("a" works here, too)

Bruce 

26 Aug 2016     

Ann_85
Russian Federation

Many thnaks to you all for your answers!

Well, but what if I need to insert the articles (a/the) by myself? How should I know that the underlined parts of the sentences are not restrictive (particularizing) but identifying? I mean how to distinguish indentification from restriction (particularization) if there is no context, just separate sentences?

+ some practice

Ex. It was, after all, no disgrace to be connected with ....  case reported in the Times.  (reastriction or particularization)? A or the? 

It was not ... job that he liked. (a or the?)

With one hand on ... young man�s shoulder, he went up the stairs. (a/the?)

Thank you!

26 Aug 2016     

yanogator
United States

In your new examples, the first one could be either, depending on whether your comment is about the Times in general or a specific article.

I respect the Times immensely, so it was no disgrace to be connected with a case reported in it.  focus not on the case
It was no disgrace to be connected with the (You could use "that") case reported in the Times.   focus on the case

Teaching was not a job that he liked.  focus on Teaching, not on job
He only liked one job in his entire career. The third one on his resume was not the job that he liked.   focus on job

He always needed assistance, so he could only go upstairs with one hand on a young man �s shoulder.   focus not on the particular young man

(This one is not very likely. More probably, there was a particular young man and this is a specific incident, so it would be "the")    focus on the specific young man

So, I hope you can see that it is a matter of where the focus of the sentence is.

Bruce 

26 Aug 2016     

Ann_85
Russian Federation

Thnak you Bruce for your detailed explanation. It helped me a lot!

26 Aug 2016