Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Present Perfect or Past Simple?     

Present Perfect or Past Simple?

Ruwayda37
Egypt

Present Perfect or Past Simple?

Good day fellow teachers, I would very much appreciate your help if you could put the verb "travel" in the correct tense in this sentence": She has gone to the US. She. ........ this morning. Thanks a lot

28 Aug 2016      

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Hi Ruyayda. It�s�travelled � since a specific time was mentioned.

28 Aug 2016     

douglas
United States

"She is travelling this morning" could work too (if she is still underway); but traveled is probably the best answer 99% of the time

29 Aug 2016     

Ruwayda37
Egypt

Thank you very much, Cunliffe and douglas. That is what I felt really but I was confused about the expression "this time" because it can also denote present perfect if the morning hasn �t ended yet. I still don �t know what to choose if the morning period has not finished yet Will it also be past simple?

29 Aug 2016     

Huyen Nguyen
Vietnam

I think it �s "travelled"

29 Aug 2016     

FrauSue
France

You would use the present perfect if you want to clearly specify that she is still en route and you mention how much of the journey has already passed. "She �s travelled 100 miles so far, and there are still 300 to go." However, in your sentence, the verb "travel" is used more as a synonym for "leave" and therefore the past simple is the only possible option. She has gone to the US (and she is still there) but she started her journey this morning (and now is either en route or at her destination).

29 Aug 2016     

Ruwayda37
Egypt

Thanks a lot for your explicit clarification.

29 Aug 2016     

douglas
United States

I would still use is travelling in certain situations. 

I can say "she has gone to the USA" in order to imply that she is no longer at this location-- Present Perfect because it is significant to the present (her seat in the classroom is empty).

If she has not yet arrived in the USA, she hasn �t "travelled" there yet --simple past would indicate the action has been completed (but it hasn �t been).

So in this case it is possible to use "is travelling". 

I understand it is a rather rare/uncommon use, but I can �t say it is wrong.

Cheers,
Douglas

30 Aug 2016     

redcamarocruiser
United States

I agee with Douglas.

30 Aug 2016     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

The present continuous is absolutely fine, but the choice, as I read the question, was between the present perfect (has travelled) or past simple (travelled). 

31 Aug 2016     

alerac
Argentina

I don �t agree with the use of the present continuous. It says THIS MORNING... 
I believe the simple past is the best option. I assume the action is over (travel)

31 Aug 2016     

1    2    Next >