Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Can we say that an environmental problem progresses?    

Can we say that an environmental problem progresses?

EwelinaEwelina
Japan

Can we say that an environmental problem progresses?

I have one question to ask, if it �s OK.  ;-)
 1)Can we say that an environmental problem progresses or gets worse or gets bigger...?
 Some  students of mine wrote such sentences: 
If desertification progresses our planet will become one huge dessert. 
If  deforestation progresses many amimals and plants will become extinct. 

2) Can you suggest  different verbs that go with environmental issues/problems?

Environmental problems occur, exist ....
 We can stop  or reduce them...

Thank you for your help

3 Sep 2016      

cunliffe
United Kingdom

In the sentence you give as an example, I would prefer continues to progresses ...If desertification continues... � but I think progresses is fine. Gets worse is fine. Occur, exist are fine, depending on the context. Likewise stop, reduce. Other verbs: escalates, increases, maybe intensifies  for progresses. In place of stop, reduce, you could use minimise. It would be interesting to see what others have to say. 

3 Sep 2016     

EwelinaEwelina
Japan

How interesting!!! 
Thank you so much ,Cunnliffe .

3 Sep 2016     

lewisronaldc
United States

As a native American with both a business and teaching background,  the .example sentence with  "environmental problem progresses" in it should not be used.  Progress always implies improvement, and the word problem does not.   The solution to the environmental problem could progress, but to me that sounds awkward and doesn �t flow well.    All of the other verbs offered by cunliffe would be fine. The comment about context in the writing is important.

3 Sep 2016     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

I was a bit uneasy about using progresses, but not sure why. I passed it by my son (Classics degree) and he said it was fine. I �d go with lewisronaldc. 

4 Sep 2016     

Jayho
Australia

Here are some additional suggestions to add to that of cunliffe and lewsronaldc

remain
persists
exacerbates (?)
magnifies

Problem is negative in the given context so it ideally needs a verb that is neutral or negative, depending on the viewpoint of the author. Progress is positive so it is not the best word.  My preferred choices would be continues, increases, escalates or persists

Cheers

Jayho

4 Sep 2016     

EwelinaEwelina
Japan

Hello, Thank you all for your suggestions. I �d like to ask you about one more thing. When it comes to cancer we talk about its stages and progression. Is it OK to say that "cancer has proggressed"? The word "cancer" is negative so most likely it doesn �t go well with that verb.

4 Sep 2016     

Jayho
Australia

Good point!  And quite ok to say that. 

Progress is used with the cancer itself and with the fight against cancer.

Maybe this definition will help: http://www.thefreedictionary.com/progress - point 2 and 3

Generally, progress is used in a positive manner and although it fits with your original example, I would hazard a guess that most native speakers would not use it in this context because it just doesn �t sound right, as lewisronaldc and cunliffe pointed out. Other words would be used in preference to it.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Jayho

5 Sep 2016     

EwelinaEwelina
Japan

Thank you all ;-)
Have a good day  

6 Sep 2016