Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > classroom environment    

classroom environment

ivush
Czech Republic

classroom environment

Dear colleagues, what do you think is the best seating (tables and chairs) for adult classes? The U shape or 4 desks together? Or anything else?

12 Sep 2016      

alien boy
Japan

Before I decide on seating arrangements I always think about a few things:

- how many students do I have?
- what is it I �m teaching? (e.g. is it communication focused or technical/trade language focused?)
- what is their current level of target language?
- how will I be teaching? (e.g. do I use any props regularly? a board? computers?)
- do I, or the students, need space to move around in class?
- what is the space that I have? (e.g. can desks & chairs be moved easily if the space needs to be flexible in a lesson?) 

Cheers,
AB 

12 Sep 2016     

martinasvabova
Czech Republic

U shape IMO. It might help them to feel "safer".

13 Sep 2016     

yanogator
United States

AB has some good points. In my "Certified Technical Trainer" course, we studied room set-up. The arrangement of the students depends very much on the nature of the class.

Bruce 

13 Sep 2016     

FrauSue
France

I use a "U" shape for a small group of adults (around 12). I like it because it feels very inclusive, but for small group work (in threes or fours) you can move people to the inside of the U so that they are facing their peers. Does that make sense? With a large group, though, I think a really big U can feel too empty in the middle. You can use a U with a smaller block table in the middle - I �ve done this with groups of teenagers before. This is nice as the middle people can turn round to work with the people in the outside U for a change now and again.

13 Sep 2016