Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Present perfect simple vs. Present perfect progressive    

Present perfect simple vs. Present perfect progressive

suhakhader
Jordan

Present perfect simple vs. Present perfect progressive

Hello everybody,
 I have a question about the following sentence:
 She ........................to the cinema every weekend for years.
 a- goes
 b- has gone
 c- has been going
 Which is the correct option?
 I think that the most suitable answer would be �c � because it talks about a repeated action over a period of time whether it is still true or it happened before now.
But my question is about the second choice, which is the present perfect simple; is it possible to use it in this situation or another that is similar but with a difference in inferring?
 Thanks in advance
Suha

14 Sep 2016      

yanogator
United States

Yes, both b and c are correct.

As I �ve mentioned a few times, the continuous tenses are used when the duration of the activity over time is being stressed. Choice b is a simple statement of fact about what she has done during the time period. Choice c brings us a little more personally into her life by emphasizing that this activity occupied her time for years.

I have played the accordion for 50 years (In fact, my anniversary is sometime this month).
   This is just a piece of information about me.

I have been playing the accordion for 50 years.
    This is a little more personal. It just emphasizes that there is an activity that took place over the time period.

I have lived in my house for 12 years. - piece of information

I have been living in my house for 12 years. - puts some emphasis on the living and the time period, not just the time period. 

They have sold fish on that corner for years.
They have been selling fish on that corner for years.

I hope you understand the difference, and that both forms are useful, depending on your intention.

Bruce 

14 Sep 2016     

suhakhader
Jordan

Thank you so much, Bruce!

15 Sep 2016