Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Teaching reading    

Teaching reading

saidsahraouiasm
Tunisia

Teaching reading

Hi,
I �m teaching Grade 10 and I �m dealing with teaching reading so I want to know the different activities used to check students understanding especially in the post reading activities and what are the various strategies used in the pre and while stages.
I look forward to answering me soon and thank you for your help in advance. 

19 Sep 2016      

fathi
Tunisia

Hi Saidsahraoui,

You are speaking about assessment for learning.  It;s very important to know where students are as they are reading.Personally, i often start reading sessions by  encouraging sts(students) to predict the content of the text using the tittle and pictures.. u can also use the KWL graphic organiser if u r teaching an information text type. an other way of introducing your reading passage is to make connections..ie try to connect the text to the students real life experience... During the reading stage sts will read to check their predictions.. make reading a purposeful activity by asking sts to read the questions b4 reading the text.other reading strategies include inferring and visualizing.. the post reading stage is an opportunity to assess learning. u can use the questioning technique, encourage self and peer assessment.. ask open questions to infuse critical thinking skills..see how students can connect the text to other texts, to themselves and to the world.. u will feel elated if sts can use what they have learned to change the world..

Wishing u the best of luck
Fathi 

19 Sep 2016