Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > proofreading    

proofreading

Pedro14
Spain

proofreading

Hi there,

I guess that since the course has just started we´re all up to our eyes with work so I´ve decided to upload the informal letter I´m handing in to my students tomorrow so that anyone who drops by can check it out. Here it goes:

Hi Jack,

How´s everything going? Hope the bad spell you were going through has come to an end already. I got your letter this morning and I´m glad to hear that you´ve finally decided to overcome your phobia of / about flying and you´re coming to visit my country! After your stay, you´re bound not to feel like going back home. Spain is said to be highly addictive, lol.
     As you know, the Spanish coast is a household name and zillion of holidaymakers choose it as their summer holiday getaway. You´re a beach lover and you´re really into Spanish writers too so why don´t you visit the Mediterranean coast and do some sightseeing along its stunningly beautiful and breathtaking towns? You could drop by the picturesque village of Cadaques, where not only Salvador Dali lived his childhood but also many other painters such as Pablo Picasso or Joan Miro, to name just a few, spent time there. Don´t hesitate to wander around its colourful quaint cobbled streets filled with exquisite homes decorated with flowerpots. How does that sound? Sounds appealing, huh?
   As for finding a part-time job, you´ll have no problem whatsoever. If I were you, I´d definitely head to any beach.  The seaside is full of beach bars willing to take on new staff- particularly if they speak English- to help them out during peak season. Speaking Spanish is not an essential requirement so I´d jump at the chance. 
   Must dash now. Let me know how well everything goes and if you happen to have any problem, just give me a call.

Best wishes,

Pedro

2 Oct 2016      

yanogator
United States

Hi, Pedro.
Are you asking us to proofread it, or is that what you intend for your students to do? I don �t understand what you mean by "so that anyone who drops by can check it out". Do people drop by your classroom, or do you mean people who drop by this forum? Please let us know why you posted this letter, especially if you are asking for help.

Bruce 

3 Oct 2016     

Pedro14
Spain

Hi Bruce, sorry for not having conveyed what I wanted properly. That is a sample composition I am going to hand in to my students so that they can have a good example of what they are supposed to write in the official exam. I would appreciate if any who drops by on the forum could proofread it. Particularly the style and if it readable. Thanks in advance.

3 Oct 2016     

yanogator
United States

OK, Pedro. Now that I know what I want, here are my corrections in red:

Hi Jack,
How´s everything going? Hope the bad spell you were going through has already come to an end. I got your letter this morning and I´m glad to hear that you´ve finally decided to overcome your phobia about flying and you´re coming to visit my country! After your stay, you´re bound not to feel like going back home. Spain is said to be highly addictive, lol.
As you know, the Spanish coast is a household name and zillions of holidaymakers choose it as their summer holiday getaway. You´re a beach lover and you´re really into Spanish writers, too, so why don´t you visit the Mediterranean coast and do some sightseeing through its stunningly beautiful and breathtaking towns? You could drop by the picturesque village of Cadaques, where not only did Salvador Dali live his childhood but also many other painters such as Pablo Picasso and Joan Miro, to name just a few, spent time. Don´t hesitate to wander around its colourful, quaint cobbled streets filled with exquisite homes decorated with flowerpots. How does that sound? Sounds appealing, huh?
As for finding a part-time job, you´ll have no problem whatsoever. If I were you, I´d definitely head to any beach. The seaside is full of beach bars willing to take on new staff- particularly if they speak English- to help them out during peak season. Speaking Spanish is not an essential requirement so I´d jump at the chance.
Must dash now. Let me know how well everything goes and if you happen to have any trouble, just give me a call

3 Oct 2016