Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > mixed ability classes or groups at secondary schools ? I    

mixed ability classes or groups at secondary schools ? I

alexziaa
France

mixed ability classes or groups at secondary schools ? I

Dear friends,
I would like you to help me about : What are the pros and cons of mixed ability classes or groups at secondary schools ? Thanks 

11 Oct 2016      

Shalottslady
Belgium

The biggest pro is probably that they can help each other! A con is that it involves more work from the teacher in making sure you have enough material to work with (not necessarily on different levels, but more in different ways)

11 Oct 2016     

joannajs
Poland

I see mainly problems of mixed ability groups, especially if there are significant differences: 1. you won �t be able to cover especially some more complex grammar (that you possibly could do with more advanced students) because the lower-level ones won �t be able to follow, 2. the more advanced ones won �t progress as quickly as they otherwise could have for the above reason and also because they would be constantly involved in helping the weaker ones. While socially laudable, it �ll hurt their academic proficiency in the long run; 3. it excludes the possiblity of preparation for any external e.g. Cambridge exam as some will always be failing. That affects students morale. 
All in all, if possible I �d rather opt for classes where placement is based on similar linguistic proficiency but across normal school class divisions.
Sorry for sounding gloomy... 

11 Oct 2016     

s.lefevre
Brazil

I can �t see any pros. I doubt that the stronger students will help the weaker ones. I think they will get bored and give up.

12 Oct 2016     

class centre
Belarus

Hi there! If you look at my avatar on the site, you can see that my stsudents sit separately. So, it helps me give them different level tasks according to their individual level// I am not very good at computer, so if I manage to send you my class picture, it will show you my idea better.

Natasha

12 Oct 2016     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Students of similar abilities and at similar levels work best together, in my opinion. Mixed ability teaching is sometimes a necessity and you have to differentiate to the best of your ability, but I wouldn �t choose it. 

12 Oct 2016     

class centre
Belarus

I totally agree with cunliffe/ In my groups their level is more or less the same but each student has something special about him/her. And that way of teaching them gives me an opportunity to be flexible and take into account their speed and comprehention. :))))

12 Oct 2016     

Minka
Slovenia

In a more homogenous group, it will be easier for you to adapt to their level. It is true, though, that any group of more than two students is a mixed ability group in a way. 

On the other hand, it can become less motivating. The best students are "already the best",and sometimes they do not feel the need to study more. If that happens it �s a challenge for the teacher to make them set themselves proper goals.  

The weakest group - you can really pay a lot of attention to what they have most difficulties with. Again, they can feel, they aren �t good at English, anyway and that �s the reason why they �re in this group and that �s it. Another challenge for the teacher. 

In a mixed ability group, you can have different materials for different students or just some more advanced materials to add when the best students are finished with their regular work. It is not just that the better students can help the weaker ones, they also "pull the class forward", somehow. This is often not the role of the best ones but of the good solid "middle-level group". 

I used to teach homogenous groups, now they are all mixed ability groups. I liked it when they were all on about the same level. It gave me new insight on all the possibilities I have for differentiation and individualisation in class. I learnt to adapt to the weakest students - their problems sometimes "hide" in a mixed level group, somehow. I also learnt to create more challenges for the best ones. I find this very important. I can use that knowledge now with my mixed ability groups. I like those as well or even better.  

12 Oct 2016     

alexziaa
France

Many thanks for your  helpful and meaningful answers ! 

12 Oct 2016