Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > polite requests    

polite requests

noura80
Algeria

polite requests

Hello colleages. I want to ask about the difference between :can I /can you  when making polite requests .Can we use the personal pronoun ( I )TO MAKE REQUESTS  or we use it only to ask for permission

17 Oct 2016      

lockman
Morocco

HI
Both are correct  
CAN I GET IN ?                                PERMISSION
CAN I USE YOUR PHONE ?         IS BOTH ASKING FOR PERMISSION AND MAKING A POLITE  REQUEST

17 Oct 2016     

noura80
Algeria

Thanks a lot brother for your answer

17 Oct 2016     

Mr. TITA
Morocco

Hello noura,
In requests in general the one who asks for something is the same person who benefits from it, like: can you bring me a cup of coffee please? can you read these lines for me ? but  in these expressions: can I help you? can I give you my dictionary? can I buy a ticket for you? these are expressions of offer because the one you address yourself to will benefit from your suggestions not you. expressions of permission are clearer. you simply ask sb �s permission to do something. like; can I have a sit please? can I use your phone please? can I go out?

17 Oct 2016     

noura80
Algeria

Thanks a lot Mr.TITA FOR YOUR ANSWER  

18 Oct 2016