Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Assembly Hall    

Assembly Hall

sadbird
Belarus

Assembly Hall

Good evening dear colleagues:) Need your valued professional opinion. 
I am a bit confused about choosing the right preposition in such word phrases: At the Assembly Hall or In the Assembly Hall. If they both are correct, so what is the difference between them?  
Thank you in advance. 

17 Oct 2016      

yanogator
United States

It depends on your intended meaning. If you want to tell people where you are, you usually use "at".

Where were you last night? I was at the assembly hall until 7:30.
Where will you be at 7:30 tonight? At the mall.

If it is important to say that you are actually inside the hall, and not just give a general location, you use "in".

I can �t find you; where are you? I �m in the assembly hall.

So, "at" is less specific. You could be inside the hall or outside.
"In" is used if you are physically inside, and you want to convey that information. If it doesn �t matter whether you are inside or not, you use "at".

Bruce 

17 Oct 2016     

sadbird
Belarus

Thank you very much for your reply. As far as I can see "at" is getting widely used. As for me I have always been puzzled with prepositions in English. :)

18 Oct 2016     

yanogator
United States

Prepositions are one of the most difficult aspects of any language, because they don �t correspond to your own language.

18 Oct 2016