Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Is that a mistake?    

Is that a mistake?

ivush
Czech Republic

Is that a mistake?

Friends, is it possible to say "Can I HAVE a question?" or is it just a widespread mistake and the only possibility is to ask a question?

18 Oct 2016      

Ensinus
Brazil

I think it �s strange, you say "I have a question", but don �t ask like this.

18 Oct 2016     

yanogator
United States

Or "Can I ask a question?", but there �s no reason to ask if you can have a question. If you have a question, you have it. There �s no need for permission to have it.

Bruce 

18 Oct 2016     

Apodo
Australia

Can I ask you a question?

Can I have a word? = Can I speak to you? 

19 Oct 2016     

douglas
United States

The only case where I could see it used that way is if you are asking for a single question from someone:

"May I have one question from the audience please?"

19 Oct 2016     

FrauSue
France

I agree.

You could ask "Do you have any questions?" but Bruce is right - if you already have the question and want to ask it, you don �t need to ask for permission to have it! 

19 Oct 2016     

ivush
Czech Republic

I agree with you all, thank you :-) In my language it is common to ask a permission for having a question and using the verb "have", that´s why my students are so confused and dont want to accept the verb "ask" :-)

19 Oct 2016     

Matthew@ELSP
Japan

Unless you were on a game show whose goal was to answer questions and you requested that the host gave you another, I suppose.
That would be fine.

20 Oct 2016