Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Old book on confusing words    

Old book on confusing words

jfaraujo
Portugal

Old book on confusing words

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone remembers a really old book, which I believe was from Penguin, which illustrated confusing words.
I remember this sentence: I have an excellent cooker (to show the difference between cook and cooker) and there was a picture of a cooker wearing an apron.
It was an amazing book and I can �t find it anywhwere.
If anyone can help, I will be eternally grateful.

Thanks in advance.

jfaraujo 

23 Oct 2016      

DeanNguyen
United States

There are some old English grammar books that help us know mistakes in writings. I also have an old one, but i don �t have a pdf to send you. Sorry for this, but i think everyone can help you in this forum!!!

For me, the difference between �cook � and �cooker � is: �cook � is a noun which means a chef, and �cooker � is a thing used to cook rice, so you should say: I have an excellent cook instead of cooker. if you want to show a new thing you �ve just bought such as a new electric cooker, you should say: I have just bought a new electric cooker. Have a nice time! 

23 Oct 2016     

korova-daisy
Russian Federation

If you could just recollect its author or the name, it would be easier to look for the book.

24 Oct 2016     

jfaraujo
Portugal

The problem is that I cannot remember the name of the book or its author.
Thank you to both of you for trying to help me. 

24 Oct 2016     

[email protected]
Spain

I think the book  is : Is that what you mean?
This morning I was teaching my students the  difference between She goes to work by car and she goes to work with  a car. 
Obviously, we had a few laughs.. 
I definitely think that is the book you refer to .

24 Oct 2016     

jfaraujo
Portugal

I have to express my deepest gratitude to tehusas because I �ve just found the book (both book 1 and 2) and it �s exactly it!
Thank you, thank you, thank you"
You have made my day!

Thanks to all who tried to help as well.

jfaraujo 

24 Oct 2016     

yanogator
United States

For those who want to see the book, if you google the title, you will find a copy of both volumes. I won �t post the link here, because I �m sure the copies are illegal.

Bruce 

25 Oct 2016     

marzouga
Morocco

Thanks a lot . It �s great ! I got it ,too .so interesting and funny .nice of you to share .

25 Oct 2016