Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > A Passive Causative question     

A Passive Causative question

gportiglioti
Brazil

A Passive Causative question

Hello, friends. I �m having difficulties with one exercise. Can you help me? In the exercise, students have to complete the following sentence: "The boss insists ____ here on time tomorrow." A) you to be B) that you will be C) that you be D) for you be E) that you are The answer is letter C, but it doesn �t make much sense for me. Can anyone help me ? Thank you so much!

26 Oct 2016      

zoemorosini
United States

Hello Gportiglioti:

insist + that = subjunctive, so the verb that follows "insist that" is used in the infinitive without "to."

Examples:  I insist that you stop talking.  He insists that we go away.  They insist that I buy this.  She insists that they go to the doctor.

Here �s a link to useful information:

Hope this helps!

Greetings from Boston, MA, USA 

26 Oct 2016     

yanogator
United States

I agree with Zoe.

Bruce 

26 Oct 2016     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

I agree with Zoe and Bruce, but the subjunctive in English is not really very well understood and I doubt if it is taught anywhere. I think that nowadays, most people would accept C, thinking that it sounds right, which of course it is, but not knowing why. Then they would choose E. �The boss insists/demands that you are here on time tomorrow. � 

26 Oct 2016     

gportiglioti
Brazil

Thank you so much for your help! It helped a lot!

26 Oct 2016     

gportiglioti
Brazil

Thank you so much for your help! It helped a lot!

26 Oct 2016     

almaz
United Kingdom

Have to agree with the others. C is formal (mandative subjunctive), while E is equally acceptable but definitely sounds less stuffy.

But just one more thing, gportiglioti: your heading there is a tad misleading. Where�s the passive in your sample sentences? And I�m guessing you meant mandative rather than causative?

27 Oct 2016     

Olga V
Greece

"That you be" is the official correct answer.For you this to make sense you must think of the following :It means that the boss  insists that they  MUST be on time and this  modal verb here can be omitted. 

27 Oct 2016     

douglas
United States

I agree with all of you, but B could also be correct.

"None of us think you will make it back to work on time tomorrow, but the boss insists that you will be on time.  He sounds pretty confident that you will make it."

27 Oct 2016