Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > rephrasing    

rephrasing

Pedro14
Spain

rephrasing

Can you checked if I have done it well? A student has again brough me a handful of rephrasing sentences and don �t want to do it wrong. Tom was definitely first in the queue. DOUBT There is no doubt / little doubt he was first in the queue. �I can �t help you now, I am too busy with work � EYES �I can �t help you now, I am up to my eyes in/ with work. My granny is so old she often forgets people �s names. TRACK My granny is so old she often ......? .... people �s names. She will finally understand, dont worry. COME She will finally .... ? .... , don �t worry. I �m in favour of women running for office. ALL I �m .... ? .... women running for office. I really need a hot bath. DO I could do with a hot bath thanks in advanced. I really need a hot bath. DO I could do with a hot bath.

31 Oct 2016      

Pedro14
Spain

I also have another question. I have always corrected my students when they say they have forgotten their homework. I keep telling them they should say they have left their homework at home, otherwise a native speaker would understand they haven �t done their homework. And this is not what they want to convey. � Forget � is followed by an infinitive. They Are Just translating literally. The point is that some colleagues of mine believe I am not correct. Could you please throw some light? Thanks.

31 Oct 2016     

Apodo
Australia

There is no doubt he was first in the queue.

´I can ´t help you now, I am up to my eyes in/ with work.  (with or in both ok)

My granny is so old she often loses track of people ´s names.

She will come round in the end, don ´t worry.  (finally is ok)

I ´m all for women running for office.

I could really do with a hot bath thanks in advanced. I really need a hot bath.  (really can be left out, but it adds emphasis)

It would be best to say : I forgot to do my homework / I forgot to bring my homework. This would avoid any ambiguity,
However, we say I forgot my pencil case etc. (We know this means it was left at home) 

31 Oct 2016     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Agree with Apodo.I would use �up to my eyes in �. 
�I �ve forgotten my homework � - that is what my students say (all too often). That implies they have done it, but left it at home, so I �m OK with that phrase. 
But agree with Apodo �s comments. 

1 Nov 2016     

yanogator
United States

"I forgot my homework" or "I �ve forgotten my homework" are both fine, but don �t let them say "I forgot my homework at home", as a number of my students have said. That should be "I left my homework at home". You can �t forget something in a place.

My granny is so old she often loses track of people �s names.

She will finally come to understand; don �t worry. (semi-colon, not comma, since "don �t worry" is an independent clause).

I agree with Apodo and Lynne on the others.

Bruce 

1 Nov 2016     

Pedro14
Spain

Thanks a lot for your help and throwing some light on the debate I had with my colleagues. I guess we were all right. Could you check whether this answers are right before I mark my student �s worksheet? Thanks a lot.
Mark has met a lot of people in France. ACQUAINTANCES Mark has ... made a lot of acquaintances... in France.
"What do you understand about this?" OF "What do you ......???..... this?
I can �t do it, despite all my effort.  HOW  I can �t do it... no matter how hard I ... try.
They looked for Mary but couldn �t see her anywhere.  BE  They looked for Mary but she .. couldn �t be .. seen. (It sounds odd to me)
The party was less enjoyable than the one at Mary �s. FUN Mary �s party ...was more fun or funner than... this one. (I once read an article claiming that funner should be considered correct it is not usual though)
Why does Sara always come late? UP Why does Sara always ... show up / turn up ... late? (Would both be correct?) 
When Michelle was (at / in) school, her friends and teachers would never have guessed how she �d turn out. 
When you take out travel insurance, you usually just accept the little form which the clerk pushes (across?) the counter. 
Ever since it was first possible to make a real robot, people have been (desiring / trying / hoping / expecting) for the invention of a machine....
Most  people can do minor (duties / services / repairs / works) in the home - such as mending a fuse or... 

1 Nov 2016     

yanogator
United States

Mark has met a lot of people in France. ACQUAINTANCES Mark has ... made a lot of acquaintances... in France.
"What do you understand about this?" OF "What do you .....make of.... this?
I can ´t do it, despite all my effort. HOW I can ´t do it... no matter how hard I ... try.
They looked for Mary but couldn ´t see her anywhere. BE They looked for Mary but she .. couldn ´t be .. found
The party was less enjoyable than the one at Mary ´s. FUN Mary ´s party ...was more fun or funner than... this one. Yes, "funner" follows the rules, but you �re right that it isn �t usual.
Why does Sara always come late? UP Why does Sara always ... show up / turn up ... late? (Would both be correct?)  Yes, both are correct.
When Michelle was (at / in) school, her friends and teachers would never have guessed how she ´d turn out.   British - at,  US - in
When you take out travel insurance, you usually just accept the little form which the clerk pushes across the counter.
Ever since it was first possible to make a real robot, people have been hoping  for the invention of a machine....
Most people can do minor  repairs  in the home - such as mending a fuse or...

Bruce 

1 Nov 2016     

Pedro14
Spain

Wow! I didn �t expect such a quick reply! Thanks a bunch Bruce for your help! Have a nice day!

1 Nov 2016     

Pedro14
Spain

I �m working on a test for my FCE students and I have stumbled upon this structure which even though I guess what it means, I would appreciate clarification by adding other examples. It goes like this:
Going on holiday can be stressful. The list of things to do is endless and it isn �t too long before your patience starts to run out. Eventually, however, the bags are packed and you �re off for some fun.
Or are you? You finally arrive at your destination only to find the hotel �s a building site and the air-conditioning is broken. 

I feel it links the idea with the previous paragraph and it means "are you really off for some fun?". The question will vary depending on the auxiliary of the previous paragraph, I suppose. Would you be so kind to provide me with other examples? Thanks in advance. 

1 Nov 2016     

Apodo
Australia

Yes. You have it right. This question is being used to alert the reader to be aware of possible problems.

You think you are going to have a great holiday, but when you get there you discover the problems. (Research your accommodation)

The second hand car is advertised as have low mileage. But does it really?  (The odometer can be tampered with)

You might think buying food in bulk is a good way of saving money. But do you really save? (Sometimes food goes stale/bad before it can be used) 

2 Nov 2016     

yanogator
United States

Pedro, Apodo �s examples are good, but they don �t use your structure exactly. You could just as well use "Or does it?" in the car example and "Or is it?" in the bulk food example. As you said, the auxilliary depends on the sentence, as in a tag question.

Bruce 

2 Nov 2016