Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > comparison of equality : as good as me or as good as I am    

comparison of equality : as good as me or as good as I am

essma
Tunisia

comparison of equality : as good as me or as good as I am

hello,I was discussing with some colleagues about the rules of comparison of equality. In fact, I mentioned that as good as me is a common mistake , we must say as good as I am . Grammatically speaking, the use of the object pronoun is wrong. My inspector asked me to give him a reliable website that clarifies this rule. Could you help me to proove that the rule i mentioned is the right one by sending some reliable websites about the right structure.

2 Nov 2016      

redcamarocruiser
United States

https://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/595/02/  may help.

2 Nov 2016     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Great website, but as for that particular formation... He is not as good as me. �Me � is the object of that sentence, so it �s absolutely right. In the same way, �He is not as good as her/them... � etc. Obviously, if you want to include the verb, then you must use the subject pronoun.

�He is not as good as me. � �He is not as good as I am �. �He is not as good as me at maths �. �He is not as good as I am at maths. �

2 Nov 2016     

yanogator
United States

No, Lynne, "to be" doesn �t take an object.
The website is correct for formal English, but common usage has been "He is not as good as me" for a long time and is now accepted in informal usage.

Bruce 

2 Nov 2016     

leaponover
United States

As that website points out, comparisons often drop words.  It �s easy if you read the long form of the sentence rather than try to figure out using the sentence with omitted words

John is not as good as I at math.  (with omitted words)
John is not as good as I am at math.  (words included)

Obviously you would not say: "John is not as good as me am at math". 

2 Nov 2016