Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > looking for teaching ideas    

looking for teaching ideas

mayamin
Tunisia

looking for teaching ideas

I have a series of pictures describing a trip to London. i �m wondering how I can enable my pupils to write a story. please can u suuggest some ideas?

2 Nov 2016      

redcamarocruiser
United States

You could tell your students that a story has a beginning, middle and end. Then they could decide on the order of events (things they saw or did) and place them on a timeline or story board. A story often has a conflict involving the main character. So, the students could decide to give the main character one or more conflicts that occur while he is in London.

2 Nov 2016     

mayamin
Tunisia

thank you for your answer.but  have the pictures. they retell the activities a girl did when sha was in LOndon. so, there isn �t a coflict in the story. the problem is that my pupils are low achievers and i want them to write a story following the pictures.

2 Nov 2016     

essile
Tunisia

You can provide them with hints (settings,characters, descriptions...) under each picture. So alll they have to do is forming sentences.If they are really low acheavers you can provide them with scrumbled sentences instead of hints.
Then you can provide them with some linkers sothat they use them in forming a paragraph with the sentences they have already formed under each picture.
I hope you �ll find it useful. Have a great day :)

2 Nov 2016     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

You could also introduce them to general principles of writing a story (its elements, use of adjectives, verbs and linking words, etc.) by doing these exercises:

Also explain to them the notions of the first draft, proofreading and the final draft.

Then you could procede with reading some stories here and you could ask them to analyse what makes those stories interesting, identify the elements, etc.  (chose the appropriate level)

Then you could pair them up or group and ask to brainstorm ideas for prompts/adjectives/verbs for each picture.
By the time they coplete all these stages they�ll be fully equiped with all it takes to write a story individually.

3 Nov 2016     

claudia_oliveira3
Brazil

Firstly, you could tell your own story using the pictures as a model. After that, you could hang the pictures and pair the students up and explain that they need to invent their own stories. They don �t need to follow the same order, but they �ll have to use their criativity. The next step will be correcting the drafts, so you could do it yourself or encourage your students to exchange and correct them by themselves. This kind of collaborative work is a way of learning with the group. If you choose it, your job will be helping students to find the mistakes. Not point the erros, but helping your students think through questions related to the grammar rules. After each composition being reviewed by two or three groups, you could ask students to rewrite them and deliver to you, and finally, you could propose each group present their work to the class. Depending on the number of students you have, you �ll probably spend four or five classes to develop this activity, but I �m sure your students will learn a lot together!

I hope I have helped you and please, let me know how you applied this activity.

Cláudia

29 Dec 2016     

carriehouseof
United States

For example you can ask them imagine a story pictures "tell" and then describe it on the paper. Pictures could be just a boost for extending imagination borders.

18 Aug 2017