Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > vocabulary question    

vocabulary question

Pedro14
Spain

vocabulary question

Hi all,
Hope you �ve all had a good starting of the week. I �m marking some compositions and one question has arisen. I �ve looked up several dictionaries but all �s been fruitless. It �s about the formality of the verb "recommend". I always teach my FCE different informal structures they can use when giving advice- should, second conditional, what about, ...- they keep using "recommend" though. I think these verb is formal or semi-formal but to tell you the truth I �ve never read anywhere so. Then, what should I do with the following sentence: "You asked me about what types of clothes you should bring. Well, I recommend you to bring light clothes." Should I cross it out and write, for example, "Well, you �re better off bringing summer clothes." or leave it because it is correct.

I would also appreciate if you could help me with these rephrasing sentences.

Did you meet Monica a long time ago? for Have ... you met Monica.. for a long time?
We lost the game because of my mistake. fault  It ... was my fault ... not win the game. (Should it be "... not winning the game?)
It would be difficult for me to finish the work by the weekend. difficulty  I ...would have difficulty (in) ... finishing the work by the weekend. (Shouldn �t it be " I will have difficulty...)

Thanks in advance. 

7 Nov 2016      

joannajs
Poland

As far as "recommend" goes I �d opt for the latter version. Seems less formal,suits the sentence better in my view. Most of all, I wouldn �t worry THAT much about it, there is no register transfer exercise at FCE, it was kicked out from CAE a long time ago. 

Transformations now:

1. Have you KNOWN MONICA FOR a long time?  (I believe you have to change the verb here, it doesn �t make sense otherwise with for)
2. It WAS MY FAULT not to win the game. (You must have missed TO in the second part of the sentence)
3. sounds fine to me  

7 Nov 2016     

Pedro14
Spain

Thanks joannajs. So wouldn �t students writing part be scored with lower marks if they use formal register when writing informal pieces of compositions? Maybe I �ve misunderstood what you have conveyed. "be better off doing sth" could be one possible correction, but I would like to know if my student �s sentence would be acceptable as far as register is concerned or not. Or am I worrying too much about it?

7 Nov 2016     

redcamarocruiser
United States

Well, I recommend you to bring light clothes no-->I recommend you bring light clothes. OK
Well, you ´re better off bringing summer clothes. OK

I agree with jaannajs  
 "1. Have you KNOWN MONICA FOR a long time?"
2. It was my fault that we did not win the game.
3. I would have difficulty finishing the work by the weekend.(To me it sounds better without the �in �) OK

7 Nov 2016     

joannajs
Poland

Well, Pedro you are absolutely right, wrong register (or mixing registers) is penalized. Still "recommend" sounds acceptably neutral to me that it could be acceptable. In terms of register, because its grammar is an issue ;-)

Redcamarocruise �s answer to the 2nd transformation wouldn �t be ok as it consists of 6 words (in FCE you can use between 2 and 5). I �m pretty sure you missed "to" in NOT TO WIN THE GAME. In 3 Pedro, you are right IN is optional. 

best,

joanna 

7 Nov 2016     

yanogator
United States

"It was my fault not to win the game" and "It was my fault not winning the game" are not correct.

It was my fault that we lost the game. 

And yes, "I will have difficulty ..." is also correct.

Bruce 

8 Nov 2016     

luismelilla
Spain

Dear Pedro:

I think the first sentence could be also rephrased as "Haven �t you met Monica for a long time?" depending on the meaning of the verb "meet", i.e. 
1. to come into the presence of; encounter: I met my friend Hugo on the street yesterday.
2. to become acquainted (with): I �ve never met your cousin so I don �t know him.
If its meaning is 2 then you should change the verb into "know" to rephrase it, but if its meaning is 1 you �ll have to turn the same verb into negative.

Greetings 

8 Nov 2016     

luismelilla
Spain

Dear Pedro:

I think the first sentence could be also rephrased as "Haven �t you met Monica for a long time?" depending on the meaning of the verb "meet", i.e. 
1. to come into the presence of; encounter: I met my friend Hugo on the street yesterday.
2. to become acquainted (with): I �ve never met your cousin so I don �t know him.
If its meaning is 2 then you should change the verb into "know" to rephrase it, but if its meaning is 1 you �ll have to turn the same verb into negative.

Greetings 

8 Nov 2016     

yanogator
United States

@luismelilla
You are right about that meaning of "meet", but it is not common in a negative sentence, except when stating that an arranged meeting didn �t happen ("Oh, you didn �t meet Monica yesterday, like you planned?"). So, "Haven �t you met Monica for a long time?" doesn �t quite work in that sense. Also, with "for a long time", we would use a different verb, such as "Havn �e you seen Monica for a long time?" or "Haven �t you run into Monica for a long time?".

Bruce 

8 Nov 2016