Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > vocabulary questions for natives or anyone who knows the answer    

vocabulary questions for natives or anyone who knows the answer

monder78
Poland

vocabulary questions for natives or anyone who knows the answer

Hello

1. I �ve been searching for� the� word I am asking�about� �and frankly speaking I am not sure if� in� the�English-spreaking countries� traffic cops� use� the device to make the road users stop� their cars. To� give you an idea of � what I mean you willl find a picture�below (picture one) .The traffic cop is holding� the device in�his right� hand
�We in Poland� call it lollipop� as it� resembles the sweet.

2. Do you��have in English any�slang �word � for� bus conductor ? we call the person canary, yes� like the bird
3. What about� a slang� word �for radar like� that in the picture 2�� we call� it dryer.
Thx in advance �
�fZnalezione obrazy dla zapytania lizak policyjny
photo 1

Znalezione obrazy dla zapytania suszarka policyjna

photo 2 �

9 Nov 2016      

Apodo
Australia

Photo1.-Our police don �t use those.They just hold up their hand.

Photo 2. - Speed gun,   (Revenue raiser LOL) 

9 Nov 2016     

redcamarocruiser
United States

Our police men do not use lollipops. They raise their hand.  Construction workers may use http://www.fleetsafety.com/led-slow-stop-traffic-control-sign-tcs/

Our buses don �t have conductors. 

I am unaware of a slang term for the radar device. Is it used to estimate the speed of oncoming cars? It looks like a speed gun.

9 Nov 2016     

gisabjunkes
Portugal

Hi,in Brazil we call "dryer" like (hair dryer). I don �t know why, but the say: "The "man" are with the dryer today" like a slang!!! kkk 

10 Nov 2016     

douglas
United States

1) lollipop or "traffic lollipop" (not generally used in the USA)

2)

3) Radar gun

10 Nov 2016     

Jayho
Australia

1. Our constabulary just use their hand, or if it is nighttime, an illuminated type of baton. They wave (polite word) or pull you over
2. We don �t have bus or train conductors. Most tickets are automated these days.
3. Speed gun, radar gun, handheld radar. The slang word in my neck of the woods is �speed trap�. There is a speed trap on xx rd (meaning a handheld or a mobile speed camera [on a tripod or located in a car] ] as compared to fixed speed cameras). We all hope that we don�t get done meaning not get caught.

Cheers

Jayho

10 Nov 2016     

douglas
United States

I did some more research and the "lollipops" are also called a "stop sign" (even though the hand-held ones are not well known by this name so people will think you mean a "real" stop sign attcahed to a post).

11 Nov 2016     

FrauSue
France

I don �t think we have a word for the "lollipop" in the UK - it �s not something policemen use much. "Handheld stop sign" would explain it effectively.

Bus conductors are sometimes called "ticket inspectors." They aren �t seen very often any more, although you still nearly always have a ticket inspector on UK trains. An old-fashioned slang phrase for a bus conductor is "clippie." (https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/clippie)

The device in your second picture is a "speed gun." In the UK, we call a fixed speed camera at the side of the road a "Gatso" (https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/gatso) but I don �t think there is a specific slang phrase for a handheld gun.

11 Nov 2016     

Jayho
Australia

FrauSue, we have Gatso �s too. Gatso is a brand. We also have Multanovas, a Swiss brand. I can tell you from personal experience that the Multanova has a very good camera lens and I wasn �t smiling when it flashed me!

11 Nov 2016