Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Help    

Help

ulysse carthage
Tunisia

Help

who �s this?    The answer is: This is my mother or She �s my mother.  But I found someone writing: It �s my mother. 
As I know this sentence is false because "it" is used for an object, an animal or for the baby (who �s this?  It �s a baby ). 
Am I wrong? Can we say : It �s my father or it �s my mother? Thanks

19 Nov 2016      

yanogator
United States

I can �t give you an explanation for it, but "It �s my mother" is definitely correct. I �m guessing that it �s because "It" is referring to and replacing "This" in the sentence.

Bruce 

19 Nov 2016     

Apodo
Australia

Who is it?  It �s my sister.

Who �s at the door. It �s Jim Brown.

19 Nov 2016     

yanogator
United States

Oh, I just noticed something, Ulysse. Your last example is "Who �s this?...It �s a baby." That isn �t correct. With a person of any age, the answer to "Who �s this?" should be a name. "It �s a baby" is the answer to "What �s this?"

Bruce 

19 Nov 2016     

ulysse carthage
Tunisia

Thank you much Bruce and Apodo. It �s very clear for me now.

19 Nov 2016     

khaledxp
Tunisia

When someone knocks at your door , you wonder : who is it ? This  � � it is called the impersonal it ...something like a � � � grammatical it � � � The same thing applies for your sentence
..... There�s a famous song by Michel Johnson , Who Is it ??? ...it�s an answer to your question

19 Nov 2016