Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > conditionals    

conditionals

tommy1996
Vietnam

conditionals

plz tell me if we have to use first or second  conditional in this case:

You must be careful because you have to work with chemical.

If you ....................................................... 
thanks 

28 Nov 2016      

yanogator
United States

I would say the zero conditional, but let �s see what others have to say. It is definitely not the second conditional.

Bruce 

28 Nov 2016     

FrauSue
France

I agree that zero conditional sounds most idiomatic. You are stating a true, general fact. First conditional could make sense in certain situations, though - maybe if a child was discussing career options and their parent told them, "Chemical engineering would be a great career for you, but if you work with chemicals, you will have to be careful." 

29 Nov 2016     

tommy1996
Vietnam

Can I write like this:
If you didn �t have to work with chemical, you wouldn �t have to be careful. 

29 Nov 2016     

yanogator
United States

You can say that, Tommy, but I don �t think it is a good answer for the exercise, because there �s nothing in the exercise to prompt you to make it negative. Also, it should be "chemicals", not "chemical". Besides that, it �s a good idea to be careful even when you �re not working with chemicals.

Bruce 

29 Nov 2016