Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > mistake for vs mix up with    

mistake for vs mix up with

apayala
Spain

mistake for vs mix up with

Hi,

Is there any difference between mistake for and mix up with?

For example:

"Don�t mistake the red thread for the blue one otherwise your knitting won�t come out right"

or is better

"Don�t mix up the red thread with the blue one otherwise your knitting won�t come out right"

What do you think?

I am uncertain which sentence would be more correct, Bruce  

Regards,

Ana

28 Nov 2016      

yanogator
United States

Thank you for asking me, personally, Ana, but don �t slight the others, please.

To "mistake for" means to think that something is something else. If you mistake the read thread for the blue, that means that you think the blue thread is the red one (maybe in dim light).

If you mix up the threads, that means that you have them mixed together, so both are being used, when, perhaps, the intention was to use only one, or only one at a time.

Bruce 

28 Nov 2016     

apayala
Spain

Thank you, Bruce. I guess if we were talking about same colour threads, both white for example but just one on the left and the other on the right, I could use both expressions:

Don´t mistake the left thread for the right one or don´t mix up the left thread with the right one. 

Thanks again and also to everybody

Regards,

Ana

28 Nov 2016     

yanogator
United States

Actually, that �s still not right. "Mix up" can mean to confuse or to blend together. In this sentence, you would have to say "Don �t confuse the left thread for the right one", because "mix up" is going to mean "blend together" in this context. Now that I think of it, when it means "confuse", "mix up" is intransitive, and it can use a preposition, but not a direct object.

I �m all mixed up today.
Are you mixed up about the date of the party?

Bruce 

29 Nov 2016     

apayala
Spain

thanks a million again, Bruce! 

Happy Christmas!

Ana

29 Nov 2016