Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > time īs up and time īs over     

time īs up and time īs over

monder78
Poland

time īs up and time īs over

Hello

Please  give  an explicit  clarification of  the following  phrases : time īs up and time īs over . What contexts  can they  be used in ?I have been  browsing through  a few forums but after reading the explanations  I  have to admit  that I am confused.

time īs up  -  always is games  ; when it īs time to finisz an activity  as the allocated time is over  ?
Thx 

30 Nov 2016      

redcamarocruiser
United States

Time īs up is not only for games .It is used for timed tests.

You can also use it to announce that an activity or class is over.

Time īs over is not correct.

"I don īt know if this collocation is used in ESL/EFL locations other than Japan, but in Japan, it īs really common. It īs very likely a construction that was put in a textbook at one time and like so many other mistaken phrases, was believed to be the normal one for English.

As others have related, it is not natural English at all. These fossilized "errors" are extremely.difficult to eradicate. You can tell teachers time after time that the phrase is, "Time īs up" and in the very next class, out will come, īTime īs over. "

30 Nov 2016     

ldeloresmoore
China

Sooooooooo, very true in China as well.  They take printed word as absolute Gospel and dare not ever consider that the original printed edition had errors.   *sigh*  --- This is, alas, the origin of my job security. 

1 Dec 2016     

BOCCORO60
France

What s the beat film about New-York to show to 14 years old pupils? I am about to start a lesson on New-York 😊 Thank you for your help. D

2 Dec 2016