Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Relative pronoun " when" / " that " or " that ------------------- in "     

Relative pronoun " when" / " that " or " that ------------------- in "

normandey
Egypt

Relative pronoun " when" / " that " or " that ------------------- in "

I want to ask all of you dear teachers; when I sue " that" as a relative pronoun instead of " when" , Do I just say that or " that------------------ in " as in this sentence :

1970 was the year when/that my mother was born. 
Can I say? :  1970 was the year that my mother was born in.

Thank you all.  

30 Nov 2016      

joannajs
Poland

Hi Normandey,

I �ve been thinking about your post for quite a while but since nobody volunteered I �ll try to shed some light perhaps. First of all, we can use both THAT and WHEN (or which, what, who etc) in defining relative clauses which this one is. You can �t use THAT in non-defining clauses, but this is not the case.
 However, when talking about time you can only use WHEN. It is not interchangeable with "that" or "that... in".

hope that helps a little  

best, joanna 

1 Dec 2016     

redcamarocruiser
United States

"
1970 was the year that my mother was born in." is fine.

1 Dec 2016     

libertyX
Albania

I think you could use outside help and you can always edit your essay if you don;t like it. You �re gonna need all time possible if you really wanna do this but good luck

9 Dec 2016