Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Need help with question tags!    

Need help with question tags!

*Maria*
Russian Federation

Need help with question tags!

Dear colleagues!
My question is probably a bit strange, but... 

My students are studying question tags and one of them asked me a very interesting question. They work with people from different countries and have to write letters. What tag shall we use if we don �t know the sex of the person we are writing to? For example, we don �t know if Bo is a man or a woman. Shall we say/write �Bo speaks English well, doesn �t he? � or �doesn �t she? � or �don �t they? �. Hope I �ve made myself clear . I had never thought about it before he asked .

7 Dec 2016      

jfaraujo
Portugal

Hi Maria,

It �s an interesting question and I am not sure whether what I am going to write is right or wrong.
Maybe you could write "Bo speaks English well, doesn (s)he and then the question could be addressed either to a man or woman. 
I hope this helps somehow. 

7 Dec 2016     

MariaBelenSerenity
China

Hi, Maria!

My first thought on this is: question tags are used in informal speaking, friendly conversations, so then you probably wouldn �t be using question tags to speak about people that you don �t know. Then, this issue would only come up in class practice situations, and in those cases you can ask the students to pick whether they imagine this person to be a man or a woman. 
Anyway, I kind of like the sound of "don �t they" in situations when you strictly don �t know and you are still speaking in this way.

Hope it makes sense! 

7 Dec 2016     

ali.h.p
Iran

I thing you should change your question for example :
Bo speaks English well, am I right?

8 Dec 2016     

yanogator
United States

Even though we commonly use "they" and "their" for one person, I would never ay "Bo speaks English well, don �t they?" It sounds totally unnatural. The "(s)he" suggestion is good, or you could use "he/she".  I agree that not using a standard question tag is probably the best solution.

I don �t understand why they would be using the third person when writing a letter to that person. Why aren �t they saying "You speak English well, don �t you, Bo?"

Bruce 

8 Dec 2016     

*Maria*
Russian Federation

I wish I knew why, Bruce Smile. But that was a question from my student...

8 Dec 2016     

FrauSue
France

I don �t think that the issue ever comes up in English because we wouldn �t use a question tag structure in a context where we didn �t know anything about the person. If you �re asking for confirmation about your own opinion of Bo �s English level, you must know Bo �s gender already because you have spent time talking to him/her.
Of course, the people who write grammar exercises might not take that into account! 

11 Dec 2016