Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > ´is ´ or ´are ´?    

´is ´ or ´are ´?

*Maria*
Russian Federation

´is ´ or ´are ´?

Dear colleagues,

Which is correct?

The Beatles is a popular band.

The Beatles are a popular band.

10 Dec 2016      

redcamarocruiser
United States

It depends on the context.

I would say Coldplay is a popular English band formed in the 90s. The Beatles is a popular English band from the 60 ´s. 1,780 resultsfor is.

The rolling Stones are a popular band from England. The Beatles are also a popular English band.  4,520 results for are

http://forum.wordreference.com/threads/the-beatles-is-the-beatles-are.553835/ may shed some more light. 

10 Dec 2016     

yanogator
United States

I disagree with Mary. I would not say "The Beatles is...". The forum she links to has a lot of discussion about it.

Bruce 

10 Dec 2016     

msantillana
Spain

"Band" is a singular noun, so I think "is" is the correct verb usage.

10 Dec 2016     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

I know that in theory, you should be able to use either, but ´The Beatles is... ´ sounds strange to my (British) ears, so I am with Bruce. And that ´s usually good company to be in... 

11 Dec 2016     

almaz
United Kingdom

You would certainly expect to hear "the Beatles are..." in BrEng. In fact, one of the best-known (but unfortunately, apocryphal) stories concerning the band was from the height of their fame in the 60s.

Judge: And who are The Beatles?
Barrister: I believe they are a popular beat combo, m´lud. 

It was often cited to show how out of touch the British judiciary was at the time, but as you can see, the barrister´s response supports the more commonly-held plural agreement for collective nouns in British English.

Alex 

11 Dec 2016     

Minka
Slovenia

I somehow feel (and I ´m hoping for comments from native speakers, thanks) that it also depends on the word order. It doesn ´t sound wrong to me if someone says

The band (they ´re  talking about) is The Beatles. 
He found a book about her favourite band which is The Beatles.  

But I would definitely say "The Beatles ARE."

11 Dec 2016     

ninon100
Russian Federation

How about these guys?

are they QUEEN is or QUEEN are? :)

11 Dec 2016     

yanogator
United States

@Minka - That isn ´t a matter of word order. In your examples, the subject is "band", rather than "The Beatles".

I (in the US) would say "Queen is", never "Queen are", because "queen" is singular, while "the beatles" is plural.

Bruce 

11 Dec 2016     

ldeloresmoore
China

I think a lot of what will come readily and most natural to a native speaker will depend greatly on the context. 

The Beatles is a popular British band. -- I am familiar with the group and I know that the reference is to the group, which is singular, because it is one group. So I say "is".

The Beatles are going to be signing autographs after the concert tonight. -- Here, I am referring to the group as a means of indicating the individual members, so I use "are" and not "is".

But --- all of that aside --- I ´ll offer you the suggestion that my newspaper copy editor husband gave me: When it sounds awkward or you are unsure of the correct way, then find a different correct way to say it. ---- Such as: The most popular British band is The Beatles.   --- Band(n) is (v) Beatles (n -- singular in meaning, even though it is plural form)

I hope that helps.  

11 Dec 2016     

almaz
United Kingdom

Considering that Queen were a British band, it shouldn´t surprise anyone that the band name is consistently referred to with plural concord on their official website (the FAQ section, for example, has questions like "Do Queen have a fan club?", "What were Queen like in concert?" etc). At the risk of labouring the issue, I could point out that their Wikipedia entry also starts with "Queen are a British rock band...". 

It really doesn´t matter in British English whether the band name is plural or singular. American English is another matter.*

* @Bruce: would The Grateful Dead be considered singular (like Queen) or plural (like The Beatles) in American English? 

12 Dec 2016     

1    2    Next >