Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > skills    

skills

wizardsoulmile
Egypt

skills

Hi,
I hope you are fine, and help me answer the following questions

Why are pupils weak in scanning skill?
 How  can teachers develop  this skill ?

19 Dec 2016      

cunliffe
United Kingdom

There are lots of learned articles about this, but here�s my twopen �orth briefly:

Some pupils may be weak in this skill due to lack of practice; lack of needing to perform the skill. Students tend to google answers for their questions, rather than trawling through lots of material to get the key points they need to know. Teachers can develop the skill by:
Highlighting: Give the students a lengthy passage, with just 2 or 3 questions. Help them to highlight key words in the question, and then to find the same key words in the passage. Then, read the sentences around the key words and provide the answer. 
Envoy: Students are working in groups. They all have the same passage, but they have different questions - maybe 2 questions per group. Set a time, then after that time, they move round tables, collecting the other answers (or one �envoy � goes from group to group).
Speed reading: Give them a passage and a question and 1 or 2 minutes (or whatever you think) to find the answer. 
Tally: Give out the passage and give them an allotted time limit to count how many times a key word appears. 
Any activity really, that gets them to seek out key pieces of info from a text.  

Just a few ideas! 

20 Dec 2016     

maachanas
Morocco

Verry goood

22 Dec 2016