Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > fonts - preview    

fonts - preview

moravc
Czech Republic

fonts - preview

hello friends,
I just wonder why the fonts keep changing in the preview?
I have read some advice
- put the text into textbox, - do not use rare fonts, -sufficient margins ...
Well, I used the fonts I have in Word, but the fonts are so plain in the preview...
But when downloaded, everything looks fine and attractive...

I was playing with it some time, but nothing helps...

I have seen many worksheets with interesting fonts AND they look good in preview.
Any suggestions? Thanks in advance...

5 Mar 2009      

libertybelle
United States

Well, we �ve had this discussion before.
You can see the original fonts in the preview window here, but if you download a worksheet with a font type you don �t have on your computer, it �ll look strange.
You also have to remember that many kids can �t read decorative fonts, and we �re making wss for them, so you/we ought to use the easiest fonts to read.
L

5 Mar 2009     

Olindalima ( F )
Portugal

Hello, Moravc and Lb

This is an interesting point, though I am not in the mood to stay here, I MUST go to sleep.
Anyway, I think Moravc refers to something I have already noticed. I upload a printable with a such Font and in the preview it is different. I download my own printable and it is, obviously Ok.
I has happened a few times I download someone else �s printable and I have to select all, and pick some other font to read whatever has been written.

Now, what I think should be interesting for a discussion...
What fonts do all of us generally use?
What fonts go straight and don �t get a mess?

Should we have some kind of " rules" about fonts?

I work mainly with kids, aged 9 to 12, I usually prefer Comics.
Can you download my printables without problems?
What are the fonts that are giving problems?
I think that, probably, just Me and I, thinking to I and me, we should report whenever we download a worksheet with a strange font, because the problem is not just changing the font, sometimes the whole printable gets a mess, because we change the font.
Sorry, I am really extremely tired, probably I didn �t write clearly what I wanted to say.
Feel free to answer and not to agree.
I think I am going to sleep.
Hugs

6 Mar 2009     

moravc
Czech Republic

Olindalima got it right. That �s what I was talking about...

For example I used font - KA Monster Smirk for the header "Horrible Monster" and in the preview it looks soo boring... But when I downloaded my worksheet, everything was fine.
KA Monster Smirk is not a rare font, as it is a part of MS Word fonts for 8 or more years...

And what �s funny: some contributors USED the same font AND IT SHOWED OK IN THE PREVIEW!!

hmmm, really strange...
I know about the problem of readability of text, so I try not to experiment with the fonts too much, but I love playing with the headers - instructions fonts...

Maybe somebody has found the reason why these things happen ?

6 Mar 2009     

wolfy
Chile

the only fonts that appear OK in the preview are those installed on the server. �

If the server doesn �t have the font it will display the fonts parent font (all new fonts are based on a previous font, I believe they all evetually lead back to MS Sans Sherif). �

I believe textboxes are treated as images and so will display OK (they certainly behave as images when it comes to printing.��

I have word 2003 and KA Monster Smirk is not there.

Give me a few minutes...

There is a way to list all fonts installed using a macro. �I´ve uploaded it if anyone´s interested.

6 Mar 2009     

eng789
Israel

My personal experience tells me that the font  Comic Sans MS  is the easiest on the eyes and clear for kids to read.(  especially at size 14)
Just my opinion.Embarrassed

6 Mar 2009     

libertybelle
United States

See Mov og Olin - -It �s the same thing - the server has its set of fonts just as you have your own.
And by the way -. you may have been able to read the title font fine, but when I downloaded your fine worksheet - I had to change the font because I couldn �t read it at all!

6 Mar 2009     

moravc
Czech Republic

Logos
Malaysia

If you go to Microsoft Word, choose Tools Options Save and look for the box that says Embed True Type Fonts.  Check this box.

This disadvantage with doing this is if your document is already quite large, it may be made a little larger by embedding the fonts.  You can check the option �Do not embed common system fonts� as these will be covered by most systems.

8 Mar 2009