Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > another vocab query     

another vocab query

monder78
Poland

another vocab query

Hello fellow teachers
I  came across  two  great  websites  fully packed with the names of   baking  equipment  

www.bbcgoodfood.com/howto/ guide/baking-equipment   and  www.catkecraftshop.co.uk/shop/2/
but  I  still cannot  find the name for the equiment in  the picture below  
 Znalezione obrazy dla zapytania kula do ucierania ciasta po angielsku

16 Jan 2017      

yanogator
United States

I am a big-time (and big) home baker, but I have no idea what this thing is, let alone what it �s called. What is it used for? What is it called in your language?

Bruce 

16 Jan 2017     

spinney
United Kingdom

Perhaps it �s a pestle. No mortar, though, so, perhaps not. It looks as if it could be dangerous, should it fall into the wrong hands. 

16 Jan 2017     

yanogator
United States

Yes, Spinney, my first thought was a pestle, although the handle seems a little long for that.

16 Jan 2017     

mourisca
Portugal

Is it a baking equipment or something that is used for making drinks (like "caipirinha", the brazilian drink)? Used for macerate lemons?...
It seems to me like one of the pieces of a cocktail set like the one below... Sadly, I don �t know the specific name... Sorry... 

16 Jan 2017     

yanogator
United States

If that �s what it is, it �s called a "muddler", and it is used to "muddle fruit". So, Spinney, it is a pestle, just for a specific use.

Bruce 

16 Jan 2017     

eda_w
Poland

It �s called "pa�ka" in Polish (at least in my family) and it was used for mixing egg yolks and sugar. Usually made of wood.

16 Jan 2017     

yanogator
United States

If it isn �t a muddler, then maybe there isn �t an English name for it. Maybe it �s part of Slavic culture or something.

16 Jan 2017     

Daidougei Dave
Japan

It �s a "pestle" but most people wouldn �t know it except to say "mortar and pestle."  Maybe use this image instead so it has some context of use?

http://www.chomik.pl/allegro/MAK%20MALOWANA.png

Also, I �ve never seen a wooden one before.

17 Jan 2017     

monder78
Poland

To be more precise , this piece of  equipment is used for   creaming (mixing)  the ingredients  such as  butter,  flour , eggs. I  guess that   pestle is a good suggestion , although it is  used for  grinding , crushing  them , and  additionally,  as it was suggested , pastle is  much  shorter one. I  am  even not sure that  it is  possible to come across  the device in other countries.  In my  language it is called  "club"  (literal translation)  or  the proper name  for it  is , to my amazement,  wooden  sphere for  creaming the dough . Thanks  anyway.

17 Jan 2017     

yanogator
United States

In the US, we use the back of a wooden spoon, which is essentially the same as half of this "club" (clearly named for its shape).

Bruce 

17 Jan 2017     

1    2    Next >