Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Make suggestions, report errors > Help with an expression     

Help with an expression

Jessisun
Argentina

Help with an expression

Hi...I need your help! I have a doubt with an expression. A few days ago a friend posted on Facebook that she was getting the tickets for a concert and somebody replied saying �I �m down like a puffy jacket! � What �s the meaning of that expression? I can �t get it!!! 😕 Thanks for your help in advance. Regards!

19 Jan 2017      

redcamarocruiser
United States

To be down with something can mean to be counted in as a participant.  

Down also refers to feathers, which are used in some warm winter coats. Down coats can be puffy and there is a down coat called a puffer coat with down and feathers. 

So, I would interpret the saying as meaning that the poster will attend, although I have not heard anyone express it quite that way. 

Edit:
I also agree that the word doubt would be better expressed as "I have a question about."

19 Jan 2017     

yanogator
United States

I absolutely agree with Mary. The person could have said simply, "I �m down with it", meaning they wanted to be included, but they took it a step further.

By the way, I occasionally comment about the frequent misuse of the word "doubt", hoping to help people to stop using it incorrectly. What you have is  confusion or a lack of understanding. A doubt is a belief that something isn �t true. "Many people have doubts about Donald Trump �s ability to lead our country" (meaning they don �t believe it will go well).

Bruce 

20 Jan 2017     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

I �ve never heard that one! Down can also mean feeling low (a bit depressed) and maybe it �s referring to a deflated jacket that �s lost its puffed-upedness? In othr words, I haven �t a clue what that means.

20 Jan 2017     

EstherLee76
Peru

Heh heh heh!

Wrong!

When you say put me down for two tickets, that means "sign me up, I �m going to buy."

There are also jackets that have goose down (the soft feathers).  The down makes the jacket puffy.

So when she says I �m down like a puffy jacket.  She means she is definitely going to buy tickets.

Get it? 

20 Jan 2017     

douglas
United States

To be down with something can also mean that you accept it or are okay with it (at least in AE).

23 Jan 2017