Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Please do me a favor!    

Please do me a favor!

ngthsang
Vietnam

Please do me a favor!

WHich is correct? "This is my boss � car." OR"This is my boss �s car" Thanks a lot.

23 Jan 2017      

a2king
Vietnam

both are correct.

23 Jan 2017     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Only �this is my boss �s car � is correct. You must include the apostrophe s. 

24 Jan 2017     

douglas
United States

It �s a debated topic, but a significant majority (including myself) say you always add aprostophe �s� to a singular noun. 

So "my boss�s" would be correct.

24 Jan 2017     

lilufes
Indonesia

both are correct

24 Jan 2017     

yanogator
United States

I agree with Douglas. Also, it makes teaching possessives much easier to have only one rule for all singular possessives.

I was just reading an article at  Grammarphobia about it. I like their reasoning that if you pronounce it the same as "bosses", then it doesn �t make sense to spell it without adding the s after the apostrophe.

Note: The link to Grammarphobia just takes you to their site, not to the article I was reading.

Bruce 

24 Jan 2017     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

This is my boss car �  is Northern English for �this is the best car ever. �  

Edit: I think this business is now resolved - I remember it being taught as optional when I was at school some time before the Punic Wars - and you do need the �s. There are a few exceptions - St James� Hospital comes to mind and there may be one or two other examples, but they seem strange nowadays. 

24 Jan 2017     

a2king
Vietnam

@ Bruce- Can you explain more about what you said?

I have thought that the way we are writing (spelling) based on our pronunciation.
For example:  The boys � s toys --> this one is difficult for us to pronounce, because it contains 2 sounds /s/ at the same time. So native speakers will eliminate 1 sound /s/. And that is the reason why we have "The boys � toys".   

But with the singular nouns ending with /s/, we can optionally put 1 or 2 letters S.    
For example: 
1) My boss �s office = my boss � office.  --> but when I teach my students, I always say that in written language, we should write 2 letters S for this case, because we have the rule that: "you always add aprostophe �s� to a singular noun". However, in spoken language, we just pronounce 1 sound /s/, the natives can understand us.  

2) The Smiths �s house  = The Smiths � house.   --> in this case, 1 letter S is enough, because "The Smiths" is a plural noun.  

26 Jan 2017     

yanogator
United States

I see you are a little confused. It has less to do with pronunciation than you think.

With plural nouns ending in s, you add only an apostrophe, and the pronunciation doesn �t change.
The boys � is pronounced the same as The boys and The boy �s.  These are the boys � toys. These are the boy �s toys. These toys belong to the boys.   (The pronunciation is the same in all three cases)

Although it isn �t actually a rule, I think it is good that you teach your students always to use   �s   for singular nouns, but I want to emphasize that the s is pronounced.   So the possessive "boss �s" and the plural "bosses" are pronounced the same.  That is the point of the Grammarphobia article - that it makes more sense to write  " boss �s " than to write " boss � ", because the "extra" s is going to be pronounced with either spelling.

I hope this helps you.

Bruce 

26 Jan 2017     

a2king
Vietnam

@Bruce - Your answer is perfectly clear. Thanks for your explanation. 

27 Jan 2017