Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Granny-in-law???    

Granny-in-law???

ninon100
Russian Federation

Granny-in-law???

Dear colleagues,
I �ve got a brother. He �s married and has a mother-in law. Her name is Valentina.
I �ve got 2 kids. They are my brother �s niece and nephew. Who is Valentina for my kids? Definitely not a granny, since we are not blood relatives. Not an auntie, since my brother �s wife is one.
But... granny-in-law? Is that even physically / linguistically possible?  

28 Jan 2017      

translateandlearn
Georgia

Well, why not?
http://raisinghomemakers.com/2012/granny-in-law/ 

28 Jan 2017     

FrauSue
France

I would say that "granny-in-law" suggests your spouse �s grandmother.
Your brother is your children �s uncle, so Valentina might be their great-aunt-in-law, I suppose.

Maybe just stick to "Aunt Valentina" - we often use Aunt and Uncle for vague relations or close family friends in English! 

28 Jan 2017     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

I agree with FrauSue. For people who play a close part in kids � lives, but are not really related, the honorary title of   �Aunt � is often given. 

28 Jan 2017     

yanogator
United States

Officially, she �s not anything to them, relatively speaking. If they have a personal relationship, then "Aunt/Auntie Valentina" is a good option, or "Grannie Valentina". We generally only use "in-law" for the spouse of a member of the immediate family (My brother �s wife is my sister-in-law) or the immediate family of a spouse (My wife �s mother is my mother-in-law).

Bruce 

28 Jan 2017     

redcamarocruiser
United States

This is confusing. I would say Great Aunt because she (the aunt �s mother)  is one generation removed from the aunt.

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100806181238AAnnm5W says she is no relation, as Bruce pointed out. This chart supports

that http://www.afamilytreeguide-chicago.info/Documents/relationship%20chart%203.pdf , but since we are dealing with a form of address in a family relationship, I would agree with everyone who suggests calling the non-related relative "Aunt/Great Aunt".

28 Jan 2017     

redcamarocruiser
United States

Here are some relationship charts including the one I used above.

Edit:
As Bruce says below, grandmother-in-law is not a commonly used term in today�s English. 

28 Jan 2017     

yanogator
United States

Nice chart, Mary. I don �t think grandparents-in-law and cousin-in-law are standard usage. I think they are usually "my wife �s grandparents" and "my wife �s cousins". That has been my experience, at least.

Bruce 

28 Jan 2017     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Agree with Bruce: those terms �grandparents-in-law � etc are unheard of. 
It could be worse though, imagine if someone said �I �m off to visit the grandparent-in-laws �. 

28 Jan 2017     

Jayho
Australia

In my neck of the woods, an honorary title of Aunty Valentina would be used if Valentina is a regular person in their lives, or if she is not then just Mrs XXX.

28 Jan 2017     

ninon100
Russian Federation

Thanks everyone! You �ve been most informative!
We �ll just stick to the name then with "Aunt" to make it easier :) 

29 Jan 2017     

1    2    Next >