Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > how can I explain. ..    

how can I explain. ..

Pedro14
Spain

how can I explain. ..

Hi there! Yesterday I was asked the following questions by several students of mine while sitting a mocking FCE test and Iccouldn �t give them a satisfying answer to them. �He was ... impressed by my car. � Given options: widely-mainly-greatly fully. I told them greatly is correct because it is a matter of collocation. They always complain to me when similar questions appear with other adverbs. I also tell them to read a lot and the answer would come out naturally. Is there any easy way to explain students this area? Sometimes I give my students the definition of each adverb but it sometimes Co fuse them even more. The second question has to do with the prepositions �to � and �for �. Why do we say �reading is beneficial for our well-being � instead of �to �? Learning to read is important to /for me? If both are possible, is there any difference? Thanks in advance. Have a nice day!

7 Feb 2017      

redcamarocruiser
United States

Hi Pedro,

"Learning to read is important to me" means you care about it.
"Learning to read is important for me" means it is good for you or a requirement in order to accomplish a goal.
You could also say it is important for me [to do] [in order to] ______.  

Regarding the adverbs you are right it is a matter of collocation and wide reading will eventually help the students develop their ear for which choice is correct.  Students can check the frequency of the word combinations by doing separate searches on the exact phrases in quotation marks.  "he was widely impressed" turned up only 10 results in google, but "he was greatly impressed" resulted in 303,000 examples. "he was fully impressed has 22,300 hits. "he was mainly impressed" has 4030 results.

Mary 

7 Feb 2017     

redcamarocruiser
United States

https://prowritingaid.com/en/Collocation/Dictionary?word=impressed is a search in an online collocation dictionary. It shows adverbs commonly associated with the word �impressed�. 

7 Feb 2017     

Pedro14
Spain

Thanks for your help. Quite handy the hyperlink!!

8 Feb 2017     

Jayho
Australia

Maybe this link will be useful - it gives more examples of to and for

Cheers

Jayho

8 Feb 2017     

Pedro14
Spain

Thanks Jayho! I �ll have a close look at it later. Thanks for your time and help. Have a nice day!

8 Feb 2017