Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Teaching Poetry    

Teaching Poetry

EstherLee76
Peru

Teaching Poetry

Hi there,

Classes are starting in March here and I am just realizing that my first unit will include poetry for secondary students.  I know very  little about poetry so this won �t be easy for me.  I have been googling but everything I find seems to presume that the reader already knows things like alliteration, hyperbole, etc. which I really don �t.

Any suggestions for how to get started for a teacher with very little know about poetry?

Thanks so much!

Esther 

13 Feb 2017      

jfaraujo
Portugal

Hi Esther!

I have some material dealing with poetry that I can send you.
PM me with your email and I �ll see what I can do.

13 Feb 2017     

redcamarocruiser
United States

A simple powerpoint that could serve as an introduction to some basic terms and devices can be found searching in google  on introduction to poetry powerpoint (it downloads and won �t let me copy the link) 
www.hamburgschools.org/cms/lib/.../Poetrypowerpoint%20how%20to%20read.ppt

https://www.vaniercollege.qc.ca/tlc/tipsheets/reading-and-analyzing/how-to-analyze-a-poem.pdf tips

13 Feb 2017     

jfaraujo
Portugal

Hi Esther!
I did some google research after reading Mary �s post and here you will find powerpoints aplenty about poetry:

I hope this may help! 

13 Feb 2017     

Jayho
Australia

Hi Esther

In terms of  alliteration etc, perhaps google those so that you can learn them first.

Here are some more great links for you to explore:

Cheers

Jayho 

13 Feb 2017