Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Have breakfast or have my breakfast?    

Have breakfast or have my breakfast?

gharbi2009
Tunisia

Have breakfast or have my breakfast?

Dear colleagues,

I �m wondering if you could tell me whether we use possessive adjectives with the expressions have breakfast, have lunch, have dinner or not? It is British English we teach in our schools. Thanks beforehand.
Gharbi

15 Feb 2017      

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Hi Gharbi. t all depends! �Let �s go and have dinner � - no. �Linda �s having her breakfast/Linda �s having breakfast � - not much difference. So, I don �t think it matters. 

16 Feb 2017     

gharbi2009
Tunisia

Thanks a lot

16 Feb 2017     

ldeloresmoore
China

In general, using possessives doesn �t have to be so confusing --- 

Many of my students will say "I will go to the gym to exercise my body",  "I want to lose my weight", 

A native speaker won �t say it like this --- Here �s how I explain it to my students:

I will say "I will go to the gym to exercise". I don �t need to say "my body", because I can �t exercise anybody else �s body.

I will say "I want to lose weight". I don �t need to say "my", because I can �t lose anybody else �s weight.

"Donna is eating her breakfast" -- this is ok to say, because it is actually possible for her to eat someone else �s breakfast.  

Just a general idea. Hope this makes it easier.  

16 Feb 2017     

Jayho
Australia

Sometimes we do, and sometimes we don�t. and most of the time there is no difference.

However, sometimes when we do use the possessive adjective it is to emphasise something

eg:
I�m having my breakfast/lunch dinner (so don�t disturb me) 
That�s when I have my breakfast/lunch/dinner (so, no I can�t do it then) 
Can we do it after I�ve had my breakfast/lunch/dinner (I really need to have my breakfast/lunch/dinner before I do it) 

Cheers

Jayho 

17 Feb 2017     

gharbi2009
Tunisia

Thanks Cunliffe, Ideloresmoore and Jayho for your help. It is really helpful.

17 Feb 2017     

Gi2gi
Georgia

By the way, I was wondering - does anyone use the term �the conjoint form of the possesive pronouns � instead of �the possesive adjectives � (My, your, etc...) and �the absolute form of the possesive pronouns � instead of �possesive pronouns � (mine, your, etc...)? �

17 Feb 2017     

Jayho
Australia

Gi2gi - not anyone I know, but then teaching ESL, where immersion plays a major role in learning, may focus less on grammar than when teaching EFL where opportunities for authentic exchange is less frequent and so there is more reliance on grammar. 

In addition, I can bet your bottom dollar that most Australian native speaking teachers will never have heard of conjoint and absolute forms of pronouns and they certainly don�t feature in our Australian ESL text books whereas the more commonly known terms do.

Cheers

Jayho

17 Feb 2017     

Gi2gi
Georgia

Jayho - thanks for the message - you �ve made quite good points about ESL/ EFL teaching and grammar.  Admittedly, I must have been a victim of some Soviet-era grammarians - and there are quite a few like me - who were forced to learn from their (probably bizarre)  grammar books :)

Giorgi 

18 Feb 2017