Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > could you check it?    

could you check it?

Pedro14
Spain

could you check it?

Hi there,

I �m writing a sample essay for my students and I have doubts about whether the idea I wanted to convey in the introduction paragraph is correct or not. Would you mind checking it? Thanks in advance. 
* Many are the benefits depicted in the media (on / about ??) being famous: a life of luxury and a large circle of friends, to name but a few. However, it is worth asking whether the image portrayed is as positive as it looks or it has been enhanced. 

Oh, and another question. Can the adjective "state-of-the-art" be used to describe people? One students of mine has written: state-of-the-art cooks are common in my country. I feel it can´t but...

27 Feb 2017      

douglas
United States

I wouldn �t use state-of-the-art to describe a person, their "technology" can�t be upgraded, but this could be discussable. 

28 Feb 2017     

Pedro14
Spain

thanks Douglas! Can you tell me whether there is any mistake in the previous sentence i have used for an introduction paragraph? Thanks in advance.

28 Feb 2017     

redcamarocruiser
United States

As for the writing sample, who is the audience? This will affect the style.

If you are writing for your students, "Many are the benefits depicted in the media" seems stilted. For a general audience I would say, "There are many benefits to being famous, as seen in the media: having a life of luxury and a large circle of friends, etc/and so on/among others.

The construction of a series should have parallel construction. Either
"being famous: HAVING a life of luxury and a large circle of friends" or "fame: a life of luxury, and a large circle of friends, etc."

If the audience is  formal or academic, your style is acceptable.
Many are the benefits depicted in the media regarding/in regard to/on being famous: a life of luxury and a large circle of friends, to name but a few. However, it is worth asking whether the image portrayed is as positive as it looks/appears or IF/WHETHER it has been enhanced/exaggerated.  

28 Feb 2017     

redcamarocruiser
United States

I agree with Douglas. "State of the art" does not describe people. You can say Cooks on the cutting edge of cuisine, or cooks using state of the art kitchens, etc.

28 Feb 2017     

Pedro14
Spain

Thanks a million for your help and corrections redcamarocruiser. It is a sample essay I would like to give some students of mine who are sitting the FCE in June. 

28 Feb 2017     

yanogator
United States

I don �t disagree with Mary, but I wouldn �t put "depicted in the media" in the middle of the phrase. I would say "There are many benefits of being famous depicted in the media:..."

I agree about state-of-the-art. It refers to things that are made.

Bruce 

1 Mar 2017